Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,322 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Also important to note that each time Musk has sold some of his Tesla stock, he has publicly said he won't sell any more. And then he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The Tela semi has also failed to live up to expectations Musk promised it would not only replace regular trucks but would be more cost-effective than trains. As it turns out, none of that was true and Renault beat Tesla and everyone else to the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Also its design has been panned by actual truck drivers. It seems they didn't get any input on how to design a truck from the people who would actually be using it.

The below thread lists all the design faults and explains pretty concisely why they are not just problems but also why they can't be easily fixed without a top to bottom cab redesign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The Tesla share price has been due a major price correction for years now. At one point I think it was valued more than every other major car manufacturer combined. A lot of this valuation was due to Musk and the faith people had in him. That faith has obviously been shaken.

The valuation was built on the assumption Tesla would dominate the electric car space similar to Ford in the 1910/20s. However for all the hype about Teslas technology every other manufacturer produces electric vehicles. Tesla may still produce better vehicles than the competition but the competition only needs to produce vehicles that are good enough. Tesla is not going to out produce and undercut the competition similar to what Ford did a hundred years ago even under optimistic scenarios.

On top of that to make the advances Teslas historic valuation demands you need the best people you can get. Musks very public firing of staff is going to put those people off joining Tesla/increase the price Tesla needs to pay the staff. Those staff will go to competitor's instead. The Twitter thread about the Tesla truck seems to mirror Musks approach to Twitter itself ie ignore people who understand the industry.

Musks antics at Twitter has brought forward the correction of Teslas share price but at the same time Tesla always had a share price that was difficult to justify based on what they did.

The Twitter thread about the Tesla truck seems to mirror Musks approach to Twitter itself ie ignore people who understand the industry.

Musk did famously say that he knew more about manufacturing than anyone else alive on Earth. No chance he's going to take advice from a mere engineer with actual engineering qualifications.

• The trouble with Tesla is they aren't better than any other EV on the market and the gap on battery / charging technologies closed quite rapidly in the last few years. They're certainly full of gimmicky touch screen and self drive nonsense, but they leave a lot to be desired in quality control and parts availability and all of that. They utterly toasted their reputation in Norway, which was for a time their biggest market, by leaving customers without spare parts.

Tesla to me just look like classic tech bubble hype and they're in a sector that's about tight margins and manufacturing efficiency and also style and branding.

That's the other aspect of Tesla I think is unimpressive btw. They aren't head turning at all. They look like some random bland Kia or Hyundai. Other than you're aware that they're a high tech EV, they're just a bit 'meh' looking.

Then to top it all off they're appealing to a market which is driven largely by customers who are quite ethical in their choices of car. They have to at least have some kind of environmental world view in most cases to switch over to EVs. However, their CEO is highly political and is saying all the kinds of things that would scare those people away.

He's trashing the brand and he doesn't even seem to understand that. You won't get MAGA, climate change denying, petrol heads on Twitter to buy EVs. So that's a completely lost cause, and in the meantime he's alienating the core market for Tesla. It makes absolutely no sense!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's the other aspect of Tesla I think is unimpressive btw. They aren't head turning at all. They look like some random bland Kia or Hyundai. Other than you're aware that they're a high tech EV, they're just a bit 'meh' looking.

In defence of Tesla, I'd argue their relative mediocre look was the point. Easy to forget just how godawful electric cars looked prior to the Tesla came along. The few I'd have seen looked exactly like the ugly concept cars they kinda were

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Well, the technology has also matured. It's been driven by quite a few companies and I think we're headed to a point now where EVs are just going to be run of the mill. Just like when everyone was going on about hybrids when Toyota began really pushing the Prius in a big way back in about 2004, within 10 years it was everywhere, now it's just an engine choice type.

I think EVs are about to make that same leap and have already gone mainstream. Tesla's role could suddenly be very much in the past tense.

The challenge comes in a big way when the mainstream automakers, after a long and cautious approach, suddenly ramp things up and that's already happened and is continuing in that trajectory. They have huge scale, huge networks and very big brands. There are some very competent, sophisticated and stylish EVs emerging at this stage, and they don't have a free MAGA sticker, flame thrower and blue tick for your twitter account...

His antics on Twitter really couldn't come at a worse time for Tesla. It's just about to make the jump into the mainstream, and now this... If I were a shareholder I would be really annoyed with him. He has 23.5% (at least according to what I can see from a quick search) and is showboating around and seen by the media as if he's the sole proprietor and has utterly entwined his image with the brand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

would it be fair to say that in a sense that tesla were, for several years, the halo car for electric cars? an example of what electric cars could be but not the one you'd buy for yourself?

their problem is that the days of halo cars for electric cars went into the millions a couple of years ago; teslas are just ordinary cars now, but with a hefty price tag. the real innovation now would be the ability to produce a decent electric car at a low price point, for the masses, but they've shown no interest in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

From a Sky News article referencing an email Musk sent to all Tesla staff this evening, referencing the stock collapse.

Unfortunately, he is talking rubbish, as is his recent form.

Right now, Tesla is making cars of the most appalling build quality, using 10 to 12 year old chassis tech and IT.

I have driven most of the EV products from Tesla's main competitors; BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Volvo-Polestar. The very bad news for Tesla, is that apart from a few pointless party tricks, the competition are ALL better. They are built better, they are customer supported better and their continuous development is guaranteed, because we are talking about legendary makers, who can do it right.

Even worse news for Tesla, is that brands who aren't even competing in their price band, are making more attractive EV solutions than Tesla themselves, and more will be launched in 2023 than ever before.

So we've established that Tesla is a disappointment and a failure in many areas (truck and lorries) and its investors are in the horrors.

I don't think it'll be the most valuable company in the World, I think it will either be taken over by another maker soon, or go bankrupt within 2 years.

And so will Elon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Thats the problem. The biggest issue with electric cars is the price. Teslas are expensive. Electric cars being far cheaper to run than traditional cars there payback time can be measured in years if compared to the price of a second hand car.

I'd argue that once the range gets up to 500/600km(4-5hours worth of driving roughly) the practical benefit of increased range drops of dramatically. Once car manufacturers meet certain customer benchmarks it becomes a battle of price/branding/style/extras something traditional manufacturers have decades of experience with. But the issue is that Teslas valuation has appeared to based of the idea that it would take years for competitors to meet basic consumer benchmarks. The problem is that doesn't look like its happened.

On top of that Tesla has its own proprietary charger which long term will mean you will probably end up in an Apple Android scenario.

These are just a few of the issues. To bring it back to Musk, it's important to remember none of the practical problems about Tesla that have been discussed on this thread are new. However what is new is Musks antics at Twitter. Teslas share price has been driven by hype and a lot of that has been centered around Musk. Musks behaviour and bad business decisions at Twitter has made people have another look at Tesla. However a correction of Teslas share price was inevitable but unfortunately for Tesla it has been brought forward its CEO. Musk has also damaged the Tesla brand in an industry where branding is very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When your CEO's best argument is "I believe....", you know you're in big trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I haven't driven it yet but the new Prius looks like a better car to me than Tesla, that's right, Toyota Prius. If anything, Toyota is the new Ford, in terms of mass production, reliability and the car for the ordinary person but actually their new Prius might even be better than the supposedly luxury brand Tesla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

you are correct, in fact they do have no ethics.

It's honestly fun to watch such companies acting like they care about moral

Nobody thinks they care about morals but they know the demographics who buy their products and have estimated many of those people do care about these things so they dont want their brand to be associated with things their customers are against.

Yes people who buy the product are deluding themselves slightly but its basically the same relationship Musk/Trump fans have in that neither Musk nor Trump actually care one whit about their supporters as long as they keep giving them money.

I do find it funny that right wing capitalists suddenly have a problem with free market capitalism working exactly as intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It won't be as fast, which matters little in the real world, but it will be unquestionably better built and enjoy far superior customer support.

A few other of Elon's nightmares that will appear soon.

America's own Lucid Air, far better than a Tesla Model S in every way.

Lexus RZ, the best built cars of all...

Polestar 3, cooler and better than a Model Y

Volvo EX90, better than a Model X

Mercedes Smart small crossover SUV. Euro chic with global ambitions.

And those are just 5 of about 40 global launches, not including Models that just recently arrived like the BMW i7 and iX1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And woe betide anyone who goes up against the motor industry and thinks they'll come out on top. What Tesla enjoyed was a relatively untrammeled, undisturbed market to stretch its legs; but with the automotive industry - a deeply embedded monolith within Americas's lobbyist landscape - pivoting towards electric, the good times might soon shrink. I seem to recall both powers already butting heads when it came to Tesla's custom showrooms.

Tesla led the way, but like many pathfinders may find itself left for dead. I hadn't realised they're still sticking with proprietary chargers - that could yet kill them off completely if countries' infrastructure don't accommodate them (open to clarification there as again, far from an expert).

The whole premise of the Tesla truck was stupid.

They made a huge deal out of its acceleration when acceleration is the most irrelevant thing to a trucker. You'd save something like one-third of a percent in travel time over a 5hr period.

Also they were going to be solar powered that "GUARANTEED" a constant supply of electricity with a "GUARANTEED" 7cent/kWh price. Battery would need to be replaced every 100k miles or so and the battery cost more than the actual truck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recall reading a thread here a few months back where people was saying toyota were in deep trouble, that they'd fallen too far behind on electric car technology and would have to outsource massive chunks of it to china?

• Advertisement

That Tesla Model 3 is one ugly ass car.

Lovely way to end the year

He’s certainly breaking records

Elon accidentally did one good thing since he bought twitter, letting Andrew Tate back on the platform led to him getting owned by Greta Thunberg and then self doxxing himself via a pizza box so the romanian police could confirm his location and arrest him for sex trafficking.

Thanks Space Karen couldnt have happened without you.

Insert the Futurama "I'm shocked" gif in response to the revelation Andrew Tate might be a piece of shít to the point of illegality.

I do wonder if Tate was a piece of shít before his social media presence took off, or it merely mutated a resting misogyny that already existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Cordell

The pizza box story is BS. It was an intelligence led operation i.e. someone snitched on them. Bucharest is a human trafficking, prostitution and live sex webcam hotspot and probably they upset the locals and their relationships with law enforcement.

• Advertisement

Ohh cool so we can wipe Space Karen's one accidental good deed off the board so, cheers for the correction

It is just a story, it's silly to believe it. They were raided by special forces, not even regular police, they work with proper intelligence, not memes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am pretty sure they won't ignore someone doxing themselves off of a meme even if they generally work with other methods. If you are wanted by either special forces or regular police they will check your social media to see if you give away your location. Who knows, maybe they did also have someone telling them information but then they would have used both, there is no way the authorities did not see that video.

sshh, space karen will get even more paranoid now about people doxxing him, even if the pizza box story is true or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,322 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From what I read on Twitter, the likely explanation is that the authorities had intelligence regarding Tate but couldn't raid the place unless he was there. The video provided the evidence he was back in Romania (given that Tate was recently out of the country, including in the UK doing an interview with Piers Morgan) and therefore they were given the go-ahead.

It's not like they saw the pizza box and could therefore pinpoint his location from it.

• Advertisement

Don't suppose you've any source for the claim that the pizza box didn't help police to locate the tool?

Ok, it was the pizza box, that's how things work in real life, just like in the cheesy police tv dramas. And law enforcement agencies show and tell everyone how they done it, because revealing operative information is common sense. You win.

That's not how burden of proof work either.

You're the one making claims that it's definitely not the pizza box. Where's your burden of proof for that claim?

In his Big Brother blurb in 2016 he said he believes a man should be able to sleep with as many women as he wants but the same shouldn't apply to women.

He was also up Tommy Robinson's hole before his own online career took off.

If memory serves Robinson doxxed Mike around 2018/19.

Would be nice to see Tate end up serving time and penniless, but we'll see. Awful POS human. Have a friend who is a teacher and she's had problems with young lads picking up on a lot of Tate's BS.

No, pizza box story is being produced with no proof and it didn't even appear first in Romanian media. For people who support the control of misinformation you seem pretty eager to accept this one without any proof. This is my last post on this matter, believe what you wish for all I care, my efforts seem wasted anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Yep similarly I have heard him mentioned more than once by the young bucks in school. (Primary level)

Tbf in general they'd only know of him from the harmless stuff eg. Saying he'd fight Jake Paul in a winner takes all bout or that viral tiktok sound clip of him saying if you want a reliable car you buy a Toyota.

Biggest problem is though that acts as a gateway for them to hear the other sinister sh1te from him.

No idea if it's true or not, but it's funny to see her run rings around the gobshite.

• Advertisement

So the story was produced with no proof, and you're solving this by discounting it with no proof. Okaaaay then.

You're right though, all your efforts to support Tate are wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lmao10

lmao. Talk about running circles around someone. He makes a claim without proof and claims the other claim is wrong because there is no proof. Then the "I'm done posting" once he had nowhere to go. lol, good work.

They were running an international prostitution and human trafficking network that included an ex police woman. They were raided and arrested before, the US agencies were involved. But it was a pizza box that brought them down. And Greta.

No one is suggesting that an entire investigation and action was triggered by Greta or the pizza box. However, there is a credible claim that the decision to raid yesterday WAS based on the pizza box showing that he was at his home in Romania. It's not rocket science.

But hey, keep on defending the indefensible, just because Greta.

There's a Tate thread should people want to have a gander: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058260155/andrew-tate

Just so we can all move in (as if!)

It's been confirmed by Romanian police that, "the anti organised-crime unit representative said that it was not the case that Tate’s arrest had been made as a result of the pizza boxes."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/30/andrew-tate-detained-in-romania-on-organised-and-charges

It definitely has been quite amusing all the same. Definitely taken the microscope off Musk on the day it's announced no one has ever lost as much value as he has this year, or Trumps zero federal tax returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

To be fair he did tweet on Xmas day he was in Romania so while the pizza box story is funny and beta its doubtful it played much of a role.

Running circles you say? Like a headless chicken maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah it was a silly rumor which most people should have realised sounded to good to be true.

However it is amusing to think the prick spent plenty of time in his last few days of freedom clearly stewing at one tweet and trying to come up with a response and the best he could do was insinuate she had a penis instead. Amazing satire Andrew.

• Advertisement

Advertisement