Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Here’s a mad idea for the genius CEO - try talking to your lawyers (if you haven’t fired them all) BEFORE you open your big mouth in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Except twitter was at it's strongest point when he took over. They'd spent ages spinning a load of services off as microservices. this meant that they could be developed with less dependancy on the rest of the stack. It made for a more stable stack that could be developed faster. Unfortunately when he sacked everyone he managed to sack a load of the people who worked on those services. So he has a knowledge deficit. He also doesn't understand exactly what is going on himself, so he's assuming it's "brittle".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sigh. There's always an excuse; pointing out Musk is behaving like an especially large piece of shít, even by the metrics of CEOs, it isn't drinking the Koolaid to despair at this. CEOs might trend towards psychopathy, but psychopaths still understand emotion and empathy, even if they use it to manipulate. Musk chose to behave this way; he chose to be a cúnt - publicly at that - to this employee.

Big Brain Musk at it again; as always I take these things with a pinch of salt, but if that's true then big, throaty LOL and hope that employee walks away with every penny of that agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

And yet people still cling to the idea that this guy is a genius. 😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Basically that's as sober a read on things as I've seen from those of us completely outside the tent. Twitter, like many corporations, would have had a distinct development roadmap - apparently towards micro-services by the sounds of it (with appropriate expertise therein). Going by my own experience, those pivots don't happen quickly, or easily. Musk came along, 20+ years out of touch in the industry, upended a very curated stack he clearly didn't understand - but Dunning-Kruger dictated he couldn't admit this - and is now trying to blame the Jenga Tower for falling over - rather than the rash fool who kicked it over 'cos he didn't "get" micro-services and how they work.

Now to be completely fair: that aggressive, tear-it-all-up approach might - emphasis on the might - work in a start-up (or scale-up) environment where Development tends to buy into a mentality and approach of ad-hoc, spontaneous development and changes... you simply can't do that with an Enterprise level stack that's N times as complex, both regards code, logistics and basic bureaucracy. STuff breaks, and if you sacked all the expertise who knew how it all worked, you're in trouble.

Even Facebook abandoned their mantra of "move fast and break things" when it became clear they had become too large, too complex to indulge in Free Jazz development where surprise! We refactored the authentication service 'cos a developer was bored. Maybe Tesla and SpaceX encouraged / allowed more noodling like that, but Twitter is proving a different beast.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,322 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet" - Elon Musk, who bought Twitter for $44bn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

OK. Who had "Trigger" on yesterday's bingo? I had "Owned and "Woke".... dammit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's pretty obvious these days that Musk is a terminally online narcissist with little in the way of empathy or respect towards other people, especially his own employees. The whole incident with Halli is a perfect encapsulation of it.

But what I find consistently fascinating is the sycophantic 'reply guys' beneath every single one of his tweets. No matter how much he embarrasses himself, no matter how much of a balls he makes of Twitter, no matter how cruel or obnoxious he is (actually, it seems the more obnoxious and cruel the better) they're there to give him the positive feedback loop he so clearly craves. There always have a 'you dropped this, king' meme or equivalent to hand out one of the wealthiest people in the world, even when he is unambiguously in the wrong. It's as bleak as it is fascinating, and Musk clearly adores the adoration so consistently (desperately, even) seeks it out.

Still have to laugh about how there's also a 99% chance that when you click into one of those accounts it'll be a crypto shill 😅

• Advertisement

When people fawn or admire those who are prideful, cruel & performative díckheads, I just presume it's cos those fans would love to behave like that themselves - and are just too poor, stupid, or afraid of consequence to do so.

They're all vying to become the next catturd2.

Shoot for the moon, lads! Even if you miss you'll land among the Starlink satellites!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

But what I find consistently fascinating is the sycophantic 'reply guys' beneath every single one of his tweets. No matter how much he embarrasses himself, no matter how much of a balls he makes of Twitter, no matter how cruel or obnoxious he is (actually, it seems the more obnoxious and cruel the better) they're there to give him the positive feedback loop he so clearly craves. 

Remind you of anyone with an orange tint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

But he "Tells it like it is". He's "Pwning the libtards". He's "Triggering the woke". He's "Inciting insurrection". He's "Telling white supremacists that he loves them and to stand back"....... Oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Getting paid to be a horrific person still makes them horrific people. Elon is however putting issues on display for the world to see and so will get more attention than others because he is seeking the attention. The man desperately wants to be considered the world's smartest man.

The main good he has shown is that a CEOs job is overrated given how many ceo jobs and other jobs he is supposedly doing at the same time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's more that he's shown that HIS role as CEO is over-rated more than CEO's in general.

In reality he's far more like a mouthy/opinionated investor than an actual CEO running a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Cordell

So why don't you stop giving him the attention he seeks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Because people should talk about what is wrong in the world and Elon is a large part of that. Plus I am pretty sure he wants the attention of the cult who say he can do no wrong as opposed to anything I say so I doubt I am giving him the exact attention he is seeking.

Others have alluded to the similarities to Trump, your posts read similar to many we got with Trump where, when things got too obviously terrible to defend, they just tried asking people to stop talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

giving him attention? i'm sure elon is tracking what people on boards.ie are saying about him.

Because "positive affirmation" and "negative criticism" aren't the same forms of attention. He wants one, but he struggles to deal with the other.

• Advertisement

Ah that point in the discourse when the hobbyist contrarians have run of ideas, and start yelling "yeah, but why are you talking about X anyway, you weirdos?".

Because it's a Discussion Forum, and Elon Musk is an "interesting" public figure courting controversy, while seeking attention like a toddler. It's fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The bigger question is, of course, is why some people are still trying to be shills for him.

Because some people are bootlickers and think they will somehow benefit from being on "team elon"

Another concise article of how the man child is running the place into the ground.

It's behind a pay wall the usual sites work to fix that

I feel sorry for the employees who are stuck & have to keep working, 'cos employment is tied into their Work Visas. It's precarious enough with a good employer, but must be super-stressful within a company in the throes of chaos; especially once you add partners, families and all the other little roots they probably had started putting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

Musk is certainly similar to Trump. But less good with people, and perhaps a bit smarter. Not that being smarter than TFG is a very high bar.

The irony of you claiming other people are drinking the koolaid

Musk is now using the fact check feature to cover himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

I know I can't believe I use to like him. Until he went and made a big idiot of himself. The amount of children he has is also insane. Yet he pays little attention to anyone but himself and wants everyone to pay attention to him. Narcissistic behaviour for sure as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Had me fooled too.

TBF he had an air of mystique around him which was also propped up by social media influencers, not to mention his involvement in SpaceX and Tesla. He’s no dumb, dumb by any stretch, but….

The whole thing reminds me of a Simpsons episode, Last Exit to Springfield. Ending with Burns finally releasing that Homer wasn’t the "brilliant tactician" he thought he was.

It’s pretty funny actually.

There’s a fine line with these ‘Visionaries’ I mean look at Elizabeth Holmes, imagine if she stumbled on an ambitious idea that actually worked. We’d be taking about her as if she was the new Einstein.

Indeed its fake it till you make it, Elon forgot that he already made it due to being born to a father who owned an emerald mine. Now he just keeps faking it because he doesnt have any actually personality outside of the false one hes locked himself into. He is a man of no substance, a black hole of pure unfiltered narcissism.

I've said it repeatedly I used to admire him greatly - and there was cause to, for me anyway given my interests, cos Musk seemed to be a catalyst towards change in both the automotive and space industries. There's no question, his tenure at Tesla dragged the EV into the mainstream, while SpaceX revitalised an industry struggling to remain relevant, and cost effective. But he has píssed that reputation against the wall as he showed him to be an empty, narcissistic bullshítter.

I also compared him with Howard Hughes and still think it apt enough; a similar visionary in aviation who also slowly lost his marbles (albeit in this case buying Twitter and courting notoriety, instead of developing crippling hypochondria and OCD).

It's ... noteworthy how many billionaires and apparently successful businessmen had their starts thanks to mammy or daddy's money. Maybe that was the only difference with Holmes; I see her dad was a VP at Enron, but nothing like Musk or Trump's background.

Twitter has announced they're going to remove "Legacy" blue-tick verifications, so only people who pay for Twitter Blue will have a blue tick.

However, it seems they're also going to announce that they're going to enable Twitter Blue subscribers to hide their blue tick, probably because it would then be a definite sign that you've paid for Twitter Blue.

Absolutely genius. Dilute genuine verification by offering Twitter Blue, then remove geniune verification, then remove the reason why many did buy Twitter Blue (to have a blue tick and make themselves appear to be important).

• Advertisement

I'm so confused. Why would you enable the ability to hide the Subscription badge? What possible business benefit would it bring, except to devalue the one aspect of verification and trust that exists in the first place?

Because soon after it was announced they'd be removing legacy blue-ticks, there were a lot of tweets from people saying it would make it easier to know who to mute/block.

So Twitter Blue I guess will still allow people to post longer tweets, see fewer ads, boost their tweets on the For You and trending side of things, but you can hide your blue tick so people don't know you've paid to boost your tweets.

The blue tick will no longer have the same weight it did once they remove legacy blue ticks, as it'll no longer mean it's an account that is notable for whatever reason, but just that the d*ckhead pays $8/month to Twitter to make themselves look important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I recently started watching youtube videos on Musk, what a clown. This is how he should be thought of, his presentation of a Tesla robot.

But there's a gaping chasm between visionary ideas and wishing upon a star.

If things like the Car Tunnel, solar tiles and that stupid Cybertruck are anything to go by - not to mention all the shít that doesn't get publicly announced - the AI robot has probably already been shelved along with all the other failures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But its still undoubtedly viewed as amazing by his worshippers.

Presumably the mantra is that better to try and fail, to be "visionary", than be actually successful at what one does?

And by all accounts SpaceX and Tesla were success stories - but seems increasingly like a stopped clock being twice right than resting genius.

But Lyle Langley didn’t propose a car tunnel, it was the ultra fast hyperloop and he delivered tunnel with snazzier lights. One million robo taxis were meant to be here years ago and didn’t he promise trips to Mars in 2024?

Seems like a pumper and dumper to me. Maybe the Silicon Valley Bank might be the sign that the crappy start up veneration days are over, and he will go down with it.

Didn’t he build hyperloops in Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook?

and by gum, it put them on the map!

Post edited by kerplun k on

A leaked memo from Musk to staff indicates that Twitter is now worth approx. 20bn. Compared to the 44bn Musk paid for it about 6 months ago, that's an incredible increase in value of a whopping -55%. Or a decrease in value of 55%, whatever way you want to look at it.

This has been revealed because he's now offering staff stock in the company as an incentive, while claiming he sees a clear but difficult path forward which would raise the value of Twitter to approx. 250bn, which I'm sure will definitely, absolutely happen.

.<double post>.

A $250 billion valuation eh? Huh, well it's possible, there's always a chance but I really don't see the path towards that, not one that currently seems to be alienating revenue generators.

Unless. Set the bar impossibly high then Musk creates a path towards jettisoning his stake with a "well I guess I tried but <excuses> just got in my way" rationale that lets him walk with a sense of pride intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,039 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

20 billion is probably an optimistic value. You could probably shave 50+% of that. Remember the company is ladden with debt

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

don't like this, i pretty much only use the 'for you' tab, don't follow too many people and like to see a diversity of opinions, I suppose i should follow everyone and anyone and learn how to optimise my timeline...

Wow, already that 20bn valuation seems like it's going to drop further...

• Advertisement
Advertisement