Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

I don't have an account any more. Seeing a blue check account with a team name announcing a player's death as a hoax was the end for me. If I needed more work to figure out who was posting it just wasn't worth it for me.

However the cult of personality is interesting to me and let's be fair, a failure on this level is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I wonder how many Musk fans are already using his new branding (whatever the **** that is) after years of feigning outrage because they think trans people are trying to control how they speak

I don't think many are moaning. it's mostly pointing and laughing and watching the 3rd biggest man baby in the world ruin himself in real time (Putin #1, Trump #2)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Who's moaning? Dear Quags, if Twitter went extinct I'd be delighted for the improvement in our world; so I say Go Musk Go. The man's a charlatan but if he destroys Twitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,425 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Really, and you have never 'moaned' to someone else \ posted on social media about how a business\ company \ shop \ sports team you patronise voluntarily has gone downhill???

Pull the other one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just decided to go on Twitter sorry X there in forever and will not be going back on. What a horrible Logo. No imagination to it at all. Jeez my 4 year old niece could come up with something far better than that. Well done Musk. You just destroyed a platform I never cared about in the first place by wasting tones of money to do it.

It was handy for a few small bits but it's totally ruined now. The only ones I feel sorry for are the workers.

I give it a year at most and it will all be gone the way of My Space, Yahoo Messanger, Google Hangouts, Microsoft Messanger etc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Quags

Ah no Im a human and by nature we moan about things but Musk does not care about what people say about him & as a poster above said he may destroy Twitter but as if life something else will come along and replace it. Twitter was once great but as another poster said "Seeing a blue check account with a team name announcing a player's death as a hoax was the end for me" means we are on a platform with s*um who want attention.

I have twitter & usually only check for football transfers etc cause when good convo is started then its de-railed asap by bots etc

Twitter will go but he must have some plan cause some money has being spent on purchasing it.

That is disgusting, can see why so many do leave the platform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭dasdog

A Bloomberg article yesterday (which is paywalled) sums it up.

What company is going to want to put an X on their site beside an Instagram / Facebook logo instead of the cute little $15 bird logo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,319 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He's currently putting his plan into place, which is a long-gestating goal of a site that deals with online payment services, allows people to earn money through the site, and now general social media integration into it too. Essentially an "everything" app/site; a combination of the likes of Twitter, Tiktok, Facebook, Instagram, Whatsapp, Youtube, Paypal, Revolut, Cryptocurrency bullsh*t, and would also handle payments for news sites on a per-article basis (ie. instead of paying a subscription to a news site which a lot of them are doing these days, you would pay 'X' for each article you want to read). Eventually growing to full banking services too.

China has a similar type of app called WeChat, but that's more so because it helps the Chinese government control information and conduct state surveillence.

So even though he ended up being forced to buy Twitter, his only course of action with it is to try and realise his goal of creating his X site/app which he tried to do years ago and failed. He's essentially just bought Twitter's userbase and information as a headstart to get people to use his app.

However, given his absolutely shambolic start in running Twitter as well as regular displays of disregard for regulations, nobody should ever trust him with anything to do with their financial information. X has technically only just started, and is already billions in debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Kevrano

Hey, not a dig at you, just the way that Twitter doesn't allow non subscribers to read tweet threads anymore

Of course, no offence taken. Forgot people wouldn't be able to read unless logged in. Someone in the replies had already created the threadreader with all the tweets so just copied their link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What about those of us who just think it's hilarious that Musk just can't stop making the worst decisions possible?

Exactly. I still get what I want from Twitter/X, which is tweets from the people I follow in chronological order. Once that changes or enough of the accounts I follow leave, then the app will no longer be worth my time and I'll be gone.

But it also doesn't mean I can't complain or laugh about Musk ballsing up everything he tries to do with the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Cordell

X is just a few short lines away from the nazi swastika. Coincidence? I think not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why "must" he? Musk paid far in excess of the company's worth so just at a basic level of economics the purchase was insane. all actions since then, at best, utterly mercurial and in some cases detrimental to the company (ad revenue cratered, the rebrand broadly hated)

A Community Notes Fact check that people put on his post was removed.

Musk manipulating his control over the site to propagate conspiracy theories..... Boy I sure hope this guy sets up a financial institution so I can give him control over all my money!

Edit: He also just stole the X account as someone already had (at)X. So Musk just took it off him, changed him to (at)x123456...(bunch of numbers), and changed the Twitter username to X.

I'm still bemused at how Musk thanks he can hop skip and jump the twitter userbase into a banking solution when digital banking is a fairly robust, tested industry with a clatter of clear market leaders - including his own erstwhile company, PayPal.

Also amusing that Mr Free Speech doesn't like being corrected by those expressing their right to reply. Who could have thought the noisiest free speech bores are the most hypocritical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,318 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think part of his reasoning is hes quite insulated in the US where the likes of Venmo are the only way of easily transferring money between people, ive heard from colleagues simply transferring between accounts takes several days and between banks easily over a week if not weeks, while in Europe we have SEPA which completely negates those issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That should be changing soon, there is a new system coming out called FedNow.

• Honestly though, who in their right mind would want to use Twitter as a banking app !?!!!?!

These are the conspiracies he posts publicly, imagine the nonsense he doesn’t post.

Ohh yeah id heard about that before whats the timeline for it? Just add it to the ever growing list of why his everything platform idea is absurd, completely unnecessary and not needed.

Think it’s available now, although the involvement of the Fed may help Musk.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's very like the Intelex logo too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This whole debacle will be used as a case study in business for beginners courses as the gold standard in how NOT to operate.

Every single decision Musky has made has been the comically wrong one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,668 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Musk decides he wants the @x handle so just takes it from the guy who has held it for 16 years.

• Advertisement

The twitter bird is now an ex parrot.if it wasn't nailed to it's perch, it would be pushing up daisies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I recall a load of people previously claiming that Elon was actively combatting child sexual abuse. Such content remained up for 4 days, the user was suspended. But he's a right wing loon so Musk actively intervened to unban him.

Some perspective here on what seems to be Musk's aim: to basically emulate China's WeChat, which is itself am "everything app". As noted in the article, the hurdles Twitter has to surmount are much higher - and it won't have the convenience of an authoritarian government to force the switch to Musk's opus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

The premise of a western “Everything app” is flawed to begin with - certainly in regards to banking or payments. Regulatory and cultural differences along with existing popular payment apps will make it an incredibly difficult space to break into.

Also, they’re not really the tech company in the best position to replicate that model outside of China. That would be Facebook with WhatsApp. Surely it must be considered a risk that the company with by far the most popular messaging app in the west could more easily integrate this functionality into existing apps without needing to change the entire dynamic of the company.

And then obviously there’s the question of trust. Since Musk has taken over he’s struggled to keep Twitter working properly, how is anyone supposed to believe that adding significantly more complex functionality will be handled well?

The more I think about it the dumber the idea is. At best X will end up being a half baked mess.

• Yeah I think he’s barking up the wrong tree.

1. China had underdeveloped payment systems, so WeChat payments became very popular. They basically leapfrogged card based tech. There wasn’t a long established payment card infrastructure and in western markets, Apple and Google Pay (and some smaller ones) have the contactless side sorted slickly.
    2. China has a very strong interest in an app that controls every aspect of your life type arrangement. So the government would not be encouraging diversify of options and absolutely has every aspect of WeChat and QQ backdoored, side doored, front doored etc etc
    3. Western consumers don’t want an everything app. There’s already signifiant distrust of Meta and Google for example and Apple’s key marketing message is all about data protection and privacy.
    4. GDPR (and similar in California) would make the EU and several other places very unlikely to accept that level of data mining.
    5. Competition law …
    6. There are already well established apps and brands in fintech. Also in some markets, notably Europe, there are free/cheap instant payment systems (SEPA) already in place and any financial provider can build tech on that framework.
    7. and while I’m mentioning this last, Twitter is hardly the place anyone wants to put their identity and financial information. A huge % of the accounts aren’t going to be very keen on linking anything else to that data.

I’m sure he’ll get fanbois on board, but that’s about all. It’ll be all about crypto no doubt.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's also a reason why WeChat is essentially non-existent outside of China as well.

Because as soon as people have choice , they choose to keep things separate and pick the best app for each function - Not the only app which is the case in China.

Facebook , Google , Apple , Amazon - None of them have tried to build an "everything app"

As others have said there is a reason why none of the other major players haven't tried this already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

Musk's big flashing X sign being dismantled and removed.

Musk clearly not blazing his glory enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement

Time and time and time and time again, it is proven by actions and words: those who shout "free speech for all!!" the most & loudest are only ever truly saying, "I wanna be a díckhead without repercussions; nerds, women and gays should STFU and take it."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,258 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

"X"?

More like "whY?".

Pay $8 per month to get a blue checkmark!

*few months later*

One of the advantages to paying $8 per month is you can hide your blue checkmark so people will stop making fun of you for paying $8 per month to have a blue checkmark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

A practical admittance that the blue check is now, in effect, useless.

Nothing says "Blue checkmarks have become a symbol of stupidity" like giving people the ability to hide it from other posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

unfortunately that status is "i am a gullible idiot"

I commented in another thread the other day about a Twitter thread.

The original post was from QANON loon , former General Micheal Flynn talking about how investigations into the "Pizza-gate child sex ring" should be reopened.

Looking through the replies, almost universally the blue-check replies were all in agreement and suggesting all the other nonsense conspiracy theories that should also be investigated.

While the non blue-checks were mostly calling for mental health interventions for Flynn and his followers.

• Advertisement

I wonder if/how that changes by hiding your blue check. Do they no longer get preference of being one of the top tweets to appear in replies etc, as otherwise it'd be fairly easy to spot that they're a Twitter Blue anyway.

Then again, I doubt the more conspiracy-leaning loons with blue-checks on Twitter care what people think of them anyway, and will still keep their blue-check displayed.

Advertisement