Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I saw it mentioned, but nowhere confirmed, that it may not even pass US safety standards? But that can't be right cos I'd have presumed Tesla wouldn't be that rash and presumptive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think it looks great. What upcoming scifi film is it featured in?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,431 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Or Demolition Man ... after what Musk has done to Twitter.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,322 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A Streetcar Named Detest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,320 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It would be hilarious if it was the Delorean 2.0 that started the dominoes falling to sink him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭ForestFire

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It really does look like a vehicle from a cheesy 80's Action flick - No normal person is ever going to buy it.

I give you the car driven by "Dynamo" in the Running Man in 1987 ...Which Musk probably used as a template.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You just know the silent Musk fans think it's genius though.... It's sort of fascinating to watch how their cars are ultimately falling behind. They've got the highest selling EVs in the US and will likely hold onto that lead a bit longer than elsewhere. The fans will point to the model y being the best selling EV model in Europe but the best selling EV brand is VW. And they've got a load of related brands too eg Cupra. Tesla share price at 258 while VW at 109. It just feels very much like Tesla is still insanely overvalued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Elon is after all your info

Cyber truck is hilariously bad, and the attention to detail on the manufactured product is awful.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So as well as being PayPal he wants to be LinkedIn as well now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Car stickers for sale

The obvious and immediate question mark being: yeah but GDPR? The link's American so naturally doesn't mention European privacy legislation - and not like Twitter under Musk hasn't already fallen foul of ignorance of our continent's rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Twitter state that it will be an opt-in choice for verified users to further prove their identity. I'm not sure why am unknown would really want to prove their identity that much but perhaps it will bring its own benefits that will be revealed later. Or, it would be useful if Twitter really becomes the 'everything app' he wants it to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Back to liking Nazi posts again

https://twitter.com/jh_swanson/status/1697672457899954459

Knowing the way the right leaning types' brains work over there, I think it's only a matter of time before the ADL is declared a terrorist, actually-racist group; once they grow bored with BLM and Critical Race Theory. The whole "Jews run the world" conspiracy never really went away after all.

Indeed. The ADL is probably the oldest org calling out antisemitism, going after it won't win back reluctant advertisers.

I've noticed a huge uptick in Jews running the world/banks/governments anti Semitic tropes recently on Twitter

So Elon wants to sue the ADL for telling advertisers Twitter is way more anti semitic since he took over and thus depriving twitter of revenue..... so hes suing them over using their free speech, once again proving he doesnt care about free speech just the consequences of said speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Of course it was the jooze fault, not the stoner man child.

I don't understand how Musk thinks this would have any legs in court: how in the héll would you even prove something like this? And it's not like Twitter has a moderation team anymore to back up Musk's claim with bans, moderation actions, reports etc. lol. Did the ADL seek out each individual advertiser, do the secret handshake and say "Don't give Twitter money"? Reads like the kind of demented lunacy an actual anti-semetic ásshat might come out with

He says he wants to see all the email correspondence via discovery between the ADL and the advertisers who left the platform, but conversely they would also get to do the same so imagine your advertising with twitter still and suddenly all your correspondence shows up in publicly visible court docs?

Also he wont go through with it its just his new thing, he will probably say hes gonna fly up in a rocket and eat the moon next week cus the tide was wrong when he went to the beach.

It's all performative - It will never happen , but he's generated a bunch of clicks and views which was what he wants.

He's a sh!t-posting "influencer" troll , that's it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Ouh another fight for him to back out of, unless legally compelled to make good on his word - he probably won't make that costly mistake again, probably.

But conveniently, his often-prejudiced fanboys will lap it up.

Musk keeps doing very tangentially bigoted things without ever openly saying something bigoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭foxsake

well the ADL should be banned or maybe burnt at the stake .

the ADL do a lot more than say "hey did you see , twitter is more anti semitic , watch out there corporation A"

you think adidas paid them all that money cos kayne went on a solo run cos they felt bad ? really?

The ADL is a shakedown pure and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Burning the ADL at the stake, you lot sure know how to flog a dead horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Shirley the base he’s pandering to isn’t big enough to keep xwixxer from going under, someone else migjt come along to keep the pepe meme brigade happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭nachouser

A "send to camp" option to hide the posts of "concerning" accounts and organisations can't be too far away.

So your against freedom of speech and the free market?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

no I'm all for it.

but threatening companies and individuals by using your clout into compliance isn't free speech nor free market. in fact quite the opposite.

The ADL is a horrible organisation headed by a shower of c8nts.

This fella said it quite well from a Jewish perspective. He is only thinking of his own people - which is fine.

https://twitter.com/StephenM/status/1699072999012634981

Speaking as a Jew: ADL is NOT a Jewish organization. It is an ultra-left activist org that pushes radical transgenderism, border erasure, police dismantlement, and the demolition of free speech—deploying rank slander, bullying and character assassination to achieve its aims.

These views and tactics are expressly contrary to sacred Jewish and biblical teaching.

When justly criticized, ADL and its defenders falsely claim anti-Semitism, thereby diminishing all past and present victims of anti-Semitism.

In fact, conflating criticism of ADL with criticism of Jews is itself an anti-Semitic trope.

Bottom line: ADL is a disreputable organization that has gravely undermined Jewish interests and is worthy of the strongest condemnation.

Its literally free speech and free market. Explain why its not beyond you just not liking the ADL.

It is pretty funny though that you are trying to just innocently quote stephen miller, trying to sneak one of trumps most bigoted little far right sh1theads past us......

Yes some of the jewish faith might not agree with them but many do surprise surprise people have differing opinions. Ill stick with the ones that are against bigotry racism and antisemitism in all its forms though thanks very much.

• Advertisement

Using a tweet from Stephen Miller as an attempt to defend free speech and diss the ADL... That's new.

Stephen Miller, whos entire extended family have disowned for his hateful anti immigrant rhetoric, if for no other reason than the laws he was advocating she during his time with Trump would have meant his family not being allowed into the US in the first place had they been in place at the time.

Stephen Miller... Brilliant...

It is an ultra-left activist org that pushes radical transgenderism, border erasure, police dismantlement, and the demolition of free speech

Well that's a total grab-bag of hysterical, American right-wing scaremongering: ooh, the ultra-left are gonna gender swap your kids, remove the cops and let the brown people in en masse! I know this forum is aimed at more "casual" debate, but ye gods this is total nonsense - and spouted by noted nonsense peddler Stephen Miller, lol.

I'm gonna go ahead and presume the ADL said something mean about Donald Trump, and his fawning sycophant Miller went into Attack Dog mode. Ultra Left! Ultra Left! Woke! Woke!

"Radical transgenderism". SNORT. What, like just force-convert everyone's gender? Sounds like a great idea TBH: we can all walk a mile in someone else's shoes, might actual solve sexism by tea-time; always wanted an excuse to make myself look pretty. 🤣

So he still hasn't broken 1 million for subscribers, hilarious

while I know trump i'm less familiar with todays hero Stephen Miller but I did like his comment on the ADL.

there is no sneaking anybody past anybody .it may be news to you but it is possible - yes it really is - to take an individual quote for it's own merits regardless of the source. I'd consider that standard adult reasoning.

Who miller is is irrelevant to me - but your made up label of "most bigoted little far right sh1theads" has intrigued me.Like if you hate him.....and you champion the ADL... you are kinda selling him a bit..

The ADL goes way beyond racism and drifts into many facets of people life. it sets out to destroy anybody who goes against them . It's their definition of stuff that matters. Their views mould to suit their agenda - for example - jews have a right to an ethnostate like israel but anybody who opposes multiculturism elsewhere is a bad person. odd that.

And its definitely not free market and free speech to threaten to get corporates blacklisted or public figures unpersoned cos you don't like their views. You only think that cos you like their viewpoint. It's a shakedown gangster org pure and simple. The adidas / Kanye thing isn't the first time.

Like most here on this forum , when your side does its good . Thats ok just be honest about it

The source of a quote absolutely matters, also I don't believe I ever championed the ADL in any of my posts ive simply asked why what they have done is not free speech, so put your strawman down.

What the ADL does or doesnt do with their free speech is irrelevant to the discussion on free speech which is a key point when discussing anything relating to Elons running of twitter, either you are for free speech or you arent, so which is it?

And you still have yet to explain why what the ADL do is not free speech or the free market beyond "I'm saying that its not".

It really feels that as usual what you are looking for is freedom from consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Looking at his tweet and all the blue tick replies, there's a massive overlap between paid subscribers and russia supporters.

And the crap they're coming up with is ridiculous. Elon prevented world war 3. Elon saved the war from escalating. Elon prevented a nuclear retaliation.

I've seen this doing the rounds: it's a pretty terrible look, and worth noting that in his "peace plan" Musk explicitly said Crimea was Russia's and quoted some biased historical context to justify this (there were other nuggets in the plan that amounted to the classic "Give Russia what it wants" strategy beloved of those who believe in Peace At Any Cost). Will be very interesting - not that we'll be privy to it mind you - what if anything the Pentagon will say or do about this revelation.

Of course Ukraine has since attacked Crimea plenty of times, without retaliation, which is an important caveat to Musk's "logic".

Except you pretty clearly implied who he is, does matter. You implied he was a reasonable Jewish voice on the issue. Meanwhile he had a pretty close relationship with the likes of Richard Spencer in college, a Neo Nazi who is the kind of person who gets called out by the ADL.

In relation to free market, getting companies blacklisted. It absolutely is. The right recently did this with Budweiser. Adidas dropping West absolutely makes sense given the views he was espousing.

Anyway, yep the outlets being promoted on Twitter aren't being vetted at all. Alt right accounts get pushed onto your feed on a constant basis. So I'd imagine anti semitism is more rife than ever. Meanwhile Musk himself has engaged in dog whistles around Soros. So ya, the richest man in the world is not being shaken down. He's just a bit of a prick and fawns over some dodgy characters.

Also not just the ADL saying there's an increase...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Forget what Elon prevented or didn't prevent, or any of that what-iffery

He didn't thwart anything here, he kept his private company out of an international conflict, which no private company has any business being in the middle of.

Using Starlink as a humanitarian tool for displaced and devastated Ukrainians to stay in touch with loved ones was one thing, weaponising it would have been quite another.

Elon Musk is very often times a dreadful person, with the most awful and egotistical motivations. But he was correct here.

Thing is, he's pretty inconsistent on those principals. Eg a Pentagon contract was signed at start of year to use them in Ukraine and it's most definitely being used for military purposes. So if anything, I'd suspect he was showing off the impact he can have by effectively interfering in an expected attack.

I agree with you in principal that private companies shouldn't be as critical as they currently are in strategic situations. But they are. And in this case it shows how risky it is for that situation to exist. Cause the Ukrainian military are absolutely reliant on it and pulling that out could be incredible dangerous and change the state of the invasion.

Also somewhat highlights the general need for public infrastructure over private for things like this.

Using Starlink as a humanitarian tool for displaced and devastated Ukrainians to stay in touch with loved ones was one thing, weaponising it would have been quite another.

This is not true: Starlink was/is being used by the Ukrainian military, not just as a humanitarian took. Now SpaceX might have had reservations - but they had a path to intervene on that fornt. The Washington Post goes into detail about the whole kerfuffle. But as far as it reads the use of the satellites were for broad military use - only Musk intervened it seems when specifically used on / in Crimea.

Taken as a single action id agree however when you couple it with his comments on crimea and calls for what is effectively just appeasing Putin and giving him whatever he wants it makes things far less cut and dry in my opinion.

Former insiders on his management style & moderation process

https://archive.ph/r02pX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,995 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so he didn't turn it on at Ukraines request rather then turned anything off https://www.thejournal.ie/musk-prevented-attack-on-russia-6163496-Sep2023/

why do these drone boats need internet access?

• Advertisement
Advertisement