Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,036 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I remember a joke being told nearly 40 years ago. The characters in it were Gorbachev, Regan, the Pope and a hitchhiker. You could replace Gorbachev and Reagan with Putin and Elon. So here goes

On a plane flying over the Russian steppes are Putin, Elon, The Pope and this Hitchhiker. The audio speaker comes on

''This is your Captain speaking, if you look out over the RHS wing you will see an engine on fire and the second one with smoke coming out of it about to go on fire''

The four passengers look out to the RHS to confirm what is happening

'' on the LHS if you look out you will find the same'' . Again the passengers rush over to confirm.

The Captain continues '' if you look back on the LHS behind the plane you will see 3-4 small white mushrooms, the plane is on auto pilot, it will continue flying for about ten minutes before crashing, the mushrooms are me and the crew parachuting to safety. There is three more parachutes in the overhead lockers so one of you will have to stay behind''

With this Vladimir Putin and Elon Mush jumps up and grab two of the parachutes. Putin stops at the door before jumping and shouts back '' I Vladimir Putin, I am the leader of the Russian people, they need me so I must save myself for the Russian people''

Elon is stuck for words for a few seconds at the door but shouts back. ''I am Elon Musk the brainest man in the world I must save myself to save humanity,'' then jumps out.

The Pope turns to the young hitchhiker and say ''young man I am old and have lived a full life. Take the other parachute and save yourself. Go with the blessing of God from me and have a full life''

The young man turns to the Pope with tears in his eye's but a smile in his face. '' Holy father he says, you have restored my faith in Humanity and in the Catholic church'' as he starts to to put a parachute on the old man who tries to prevent him.

He continues '' However we will both survive, the brainest man in the World just jumped out the door with my rucksack on his back''.

I think it very apt with the way Elon has continued over the last week.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

So who was the protagonist 40 years ago that Elon replaced?

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is his masterplan: short-term - take over Twitter and stop all misinformation/false news curbs, thus allowing climate change deniers thwart any progress to the point where non-electric cars are banned and he has the monopoly.

Long-term - totally render the planet uninhabitable to the point we have to all move to a new one. And guess who has exclusive rights on the new one....

Some men just want to watch the world burn (and they might not be as insane as you think....)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Another man that the looney left went crazy about because he absolutely destroyed them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I do but the first thing I noticed was the pigeons. Think that's the joke. Three Unread Messages. A box with three carrier pigeons.

But those pigeons were in service to the Third Reich, literally carry Nazi messages from Hitler. Literally Nazi pigeons

Possibly.

Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great to see user growth already under Elon 👍

• Advertisement

US elections driving an activity spike, and totally independent and auditable stats, I assume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,305 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And it seems disputed by MIT? Who say they have actually lost 1 Million users (or bots heck)

https://masslive.com/news/2022/11/mit-reports-twitter-lost-over-1-million-users-since-elon-musks-takeover.html

MIT Technology Review reported that Bot Sentinel analyzed 3.1 million accounts on Twitter and “believes that around 877,000 accounts were deactivated and a further 497,000 were suspended between Oct. 27 and Nov. 1. That’s more than double the usual number.””

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Independent external traffic analysis says that user numbers are dropping but an internal Sales FAQ says things are going great..

Which one to believe , so hard to know which one to trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,350 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Interesting thread this and it confirms what I have reiterated for years, that Trump was Twitters biggest advert and saved Twitter from financial ruin.

Most people don't really appreciate how close Twitter was to shutting down. The 2016 election was the only thing that saved them and made them relevant again (to the detriment of us all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I was thinking more along the lines of a James Bond movie myself with Monty Burns as the villian...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes, I think we should all believe the sales people who want to tell us how great the platform is doing.

That would be utterly reasonable. Nothing to see here at all. Everything's fine!

US midterms are apparently bumping it up a bit.

And post election denial could drive it up more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is the kind of liability that a due diligence process shows up, in the professional world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭Christy42

Honestly watching people pile on Elon is also a lot of fun. He comes across as a terrible person without much in the way of thick skin. Both of those will get old pretty quickly when the elections are over and Elon makes more changes so advertisers won't be running back and he hasn't started charging for the blue tick yet so he can't even monetise it even if the increase in traffic is true.

AOC continues to run rings around the Dear Leader.

I suspect Twitter will be a very interesting place next week after the Dems lose both houses and a former President announces he is rerunning for election.

I dont understand why people think advertisers WILL be running back - if they're worried about being cancelled, they're still going to be worried.

It's at the point where there was serious academic discussion in Canada about planning for how they'd deal with a scenario where the US really went into complete meltdown.

Twitter may only be the canary (or whatever kind of bird it is) in the mine.

Really good article here about what Chris Sacca thinks about the way things are being handled

whathttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/11/07/twitter-investor-chris-sacca-says-elon-musk-is-alone-right-now.html

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There are multiple things at play.

Advertising spend will be decreasing across the board as the economies around the world tighten up so companies are going to want to be very sure about the return on any spend they do make.

If Twitter is unable to properly moderate the content then no advertiser is going to want their company/products appearing on the same page as some really nasty stuff posted by some troll.

On the flip side , if the "pay for blue check-mark" thing actually launches and a reasonable number of people actually sign up for it then potentially that's a plus for advertisers as you would assume that Twitter would have much better data about a paid up member than a random anonymous one making it easier to prove Ad value etc.

Now that is a huge "maybe" as it doesn't seem remotely clear how/when/if they are going to implement this nor if anyone will actually be interested in paying for it.

On balance there doesn't seem to be any easy way for Musk to drive increased ad revenue in the short to medium term and he has just saddled the company with a 20 fold increase in their debt repayments so his chances of making the company profitable are pretty darn slim.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I love how those here to applauded him for free speech are now going so quiet when he’s actively blocking people just because he take the piss out of him a little bit.

What a sad, pathetic little man.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Overheal threadbanned

• Advertisement

Tesla share price tanking.

Their share holders must be looking on in horror at the Twitter takeover disaster.

Also interesting to see that the volume of shares traded is way up in the last week or so.

Current stock price is back to where it was 2 years ago , which was just shortly after the share price started to go nuts.

Prior to early 2020 the Tesla stock price had been bouncing along in the mid to high teens and then around March it went wild , hitting over $200 by the end of the year and getting to nearly twice that by the end of 2021.

I can absolutely see a scenario where the Tesla stock keeps declining back down to the mid double digits - ~$50 or so , which would actually be a more reasonable reflection of P/E and market share etc.

The impact that would have on Musks ability to pay the bill for Twitter would be catastrophic.

No wonder Tesla share-holders are suing him for being an "absentee landlord" as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Musk is the emporer with no clothes. There are plenty of them that rose to prominence during the 10s boom years (Cathy Wood for instance, ironically just a Musk fangirl), but there was never anything particularly impressive about Musk's Tesla company and it was vastly overvalued in comparison to the more traditional car companies that only the blind could claim that the valuation was justified.

I always maintained that Musk and his ventures got popular because the Tony Stark movie character was also popular during the same time as Musk was getting popular and Musk's fans / believers saw him as some sort of Tony Stark with what he was doing. That is the most simple explanation I can come up with for how Musk got so popular the last ten years.

That sounds terrible, what did he do?

But before your reply, let us repeat the mantras of the last five years: freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences, there's no such thing as cancel culture and a private company can choose who gets to use their platforms

With that in mind, pray continue.

Tesla was a stone in the shoe of the car industry. They were the irritant that forced the Industry to move faster in the shift towards EV's and that was a good thing.

They created a market and hype around Electric cars and made them "cool" etc. but they were never ever going to be able to compete with the heavy hitters once they got going.

People got caught up in the hype and exploded the stock price , but the bald reality is that once GM, Ford , Toyota and Nissan etc. got rolling on EV's that was always going to be that for Tesla.

The big guns just have too much experience and heft in the basics of volume manufacturing - Supply chain , Quality , Time to Market and so on.

There are multiple better options out there now for each Tesla model and the volume will go with the big players.

Tesla may survive , but they will be a niche player , like a Jaguar or similar - Nice cars targeting a certain buyer but not a volume player anywhere.

The Stock price is starting to reflect that impending reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Exactly! People seemed to think Musk was gonna #freespeech it up when he took over and reinstate Trump and the boys.

Maybe he will, but so far it's not working out that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So I can attest to the fact that code lives in human brains not in text files. If you end up in a situation with a calcified mountain of code that everyone is afraid to refactor because they can't possible be subject matter experts on all code, well then the job will be a nightmare and break will grow exponentially. Coders will start accumulating targeted hotfix on top of hotfix as they can't get the time to really analyse the whole system.

And when you bounce loads of coders with almost no warning , there will be next to no documentation and updates will either take way longer than they should or they will break things because the dependencies weren't fully documented etc.

• Advertisement

• Very interesting. I noticed bits of loss of functionality over recent days. This explains it.

• I bet Russian hackers are have a celebration party ahead of a potential major site attack on Twitter. With so many staff gone I bet there are chinks in the armour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not forgetting they will be expected to work 80 hour weeks. Overworked, stressed engineers working on code they are not familiar with. Mistakes will be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭Cordell

What, do you think they fight the hackers hand to hand, or how you see it in the movies, they start to frantically type "code" faster that the attacker? If it was secure before musk it still is, unless some of the discarded left backdoors behind. And if it wasn't, it still isn't, regardless of who's the CEO and owner.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

It was always assumed it was only a hardware issue. Microsoft stopped doing back up to a Windows version a d if you had one the viruses would get in

I remember one time working with with a Telecoms guy in the late noughties who had a system and the program for it was on a Windows 98 labtop. He told me he used to have to keep it hidden from the IT guys.

They had stopped paying support for the actual Tele system as they had changed provider but the IT guys would still have seized the laptop.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Just because code was secure doesn't mean it still is.

New CVEs often need people with knowledge of the system to identify the parts which may be susceptible to the exploit and know a path to mitigating it.

• Advertisement

If they are smart, which they are, you will just get a malaise. They will realize that operational risk is increased and you will see ambition drop off a cliff. They will become lazy and disenfranchised. I've see it a lot. Then you have to rehabilitate them, give them easy tasks, get their confidence back. We all have ups and downs. Not possible when understaffed.

80 hours a weeks is simply madness, especially in a mental heavy job like engineering.

The quality of the work will be poor.

I've done 80 hour plus weeks for months on end myself in the past and it takes a serious toll on the body.

You don't get lazy but you do get seriously disheartened and burnt out and its very hard to reverse the damage done.

Yeah, I guess lazy is a harsh word. Really you get defensive coding, fear of unintended consequences, peanut brain from the intense pressure, silo'd expertise because there is no time to cross train. I'd be looking for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lmao10

I'm not sure he knows what a CVE is, going off his post.

• Advertisement
Advertisement