Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to report a scam text out of hours?

• 15-04-2022 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭

Just received my first ever scam text. It was purporting to be from AIB.

I just checked the domain name registration and it was only created today.

I presume they fire these out because it is just past closing time over the long weekend.

Does anyone know any way to report these kinds of messages? Or is there even any point?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think the numbers on back of card 24/7 but i cannot be sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Who do you want to report it to?

No point whatsoever...... sometimes I average 2 a day.....BOI, HSE, AIB, PTSB & REVENUE.IE.

Just don't click any links..... delete& forget....... ever since that time my long lost uncle turned out to be an African oil magnate that had a sudden desire to send me 10million dollars.i don't gave to bother with small-town scams like these🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I sent an email to the domain registry provider. They have a dedicated email address for it but they say they look at it and allow the other party 72 hours to respond etc.

I suppose I thought it might be useful to report it to AIB so that they could feed that into whatever software they have for looking at unusual patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Not worth reporting, just delete.

Anyone still falling for these at this stage doesn't have a level of sense required to have more than €20 in cash under their control at any one time.

• Advertisement

Took me about 60 seconds to run a whois and google the domain name provider and then shoot off a quick email. Turns out that the standard email address for such matters appears to be "abuse@registername.ext"

Will it make a difference? Probably not. But it might help one person. Old, and less technologically competent, people have phones as well. I thought the banks might have their own contact points for similar feedback.

I got sum taken last week by supposed to be Electric Ireland... it was fraud and i got refund... had to change card...

Transaction few weeks ago... discovered last week...

This was a standard

"There has been a suspicious log in to your account from location XYZ. If this was not you, please go to aib.---------.net "

The issue with those scams is that the Banks have Ts&Cs if you inadvertently hand over your details. I'm not going to fall for it obviously, I just thought they might have a contact address in AIB themselves to gather the information.

The timing is quite sneaky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Problem is there's another set up the next day, literally unstopable, just common sense needed to avoid being scammed.

Android/iOS should have by now implemented a properly verified/trusted text messaging system which nobody else can piggieback on, I guess at this stage if it could be implemented it would cause more harm than good with what has gone on before. The banks should never have decided to put bank labelling on their text messages as the source on an unsecure system, left them open to abuse.

Well it will be interesting to see if the registrar takes any action. They are based in CA so they have a full working day ahead of them. I gather they might only really do anything if they also supply hosting though.

• Advertisement

Of course they are sneaky... thats the game...record wherever you can with your bank by email so you have date recorded...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Were they claiming to be giving you a refund?

The mistake people make and it's not highlighted nearly enough by the media is this: if someone tells you they're giving you a refund or tax rebate and they ask for your bank details, all you need to remember is that they can credit money to your account with only the IBAN or branch code and account number - they do not need the PIN from the back of the card. So if someone says they're giving you money and they need the PIN number, it's 100% a scam.

Just an update. I checked the link just there and it has been modified to redirect to AIB's website. It is now just a simple "window.location.assign("https://aib.ie/")".

I don't know whether it was my email that prompted that but it seems that someone took action. And I did tell them in the email that the real address was aib.ie

Yesterday the dodgy page had a warning something to the effect that "Your account has been compromised. Please log in here". I presume it was also designed to mimic the colour and layout of the official page but I didn't put much pass on the formatting. There was a lot of it. Today it is just that one simple line.

(I just read the html code in a text file ..... technically they would get whatever IP was assigned to me at that time but other than that, I don't think they'd have had anything more sophisticated to exploit the text editor or whatever)

Advertisement