Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn maintenance for complete newbie

Options
  • 16-04-2022 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I bought a new build with a back garden that has been pre-seeded by the developer.

However it's looking patchy and I don't have a clue what to do next to bring it to a good lawn standard. I've read a bunch of things about lawns and gardening but I'm not sure what applies to mine given the current status and time of the year.

Should I start mowning it? Or perhaps re-seed it? What about watering, raking, etc?

Attaching picture for reference. I'd appreciate any comments!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id go with reseeding, looks very patchy, make sure to scarify(rake) intensely before seeding, try not over seed either, other more experienced gardeners may have better advice though, congrats on the purchase and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

I would leave it along and just cut it to the same level every week. It will fill out in time and thicken up. Growth has not really kicked off this year yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, grass not growing much yet.

#Patience

And don't cut it too short when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Severesock

Thanks everybody for your comments! I guess I'll order a lawn mowners then (any recommendations welcome!) and mown it weekly.

Do I need to water it as well with a hose or something?

Leave it for now and cut on highest blade when it's about 3-4 inches. Cut regularly then at high level. Pull weeds by hand and remove large stones. Water if it gets very dry but fine at the moment. It should fill out and thicken up nicely by June. Patience is the word with a new lawn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement