Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One of the lads never spends a penny

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A farmer " loosing the lot " is rarer than a repossession of a regular house so I don't know where you are getting the " lots of " ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

When I was doing the cert in farming we would spend the morning in class and visit a farm in the afternoon so we car pooled in turns. One fella never took his car while getting a lift off the rest of us a few were getting annoyed with him so one day two lads came back early from the farm visit and jacked up his car put blocks under it took the wheels off and hid them. Next day there was war in the camp and four lads that had nothing to do with it ended up getting blamed. It didn’t teach him any lesson as he parked the car elsewhere and continued to bum lifts for the remainder of the time.

It does happen, plenty cases over the years maybe not lots of cases but when the banks want their money back they will go after the farm. Remember the case a few years back in cork? It made headline news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I buy a coffee every day to work....it's part of a routine. Out the car, into buy coffee and back in the car....I enjoy having it on way to work

Could I do without? Yes, but it's juts part of a routine and part of life...

BTW, nothing wrong with being frugal and aware of waste, but there are levels......and this chap sounds like a freak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I'd love if this was true in my case, "you can do both", unfortunately, no I can't. I spend on mortgage, childcare, utility bills, car bills, groceries and very occasionally something 'luxurious' for myself, like a pair of headphones or new runners. My wardrobe is embarrassing, thankfully covid has let me work from home, I need to spend a good bit to get some shirts and slacks and shoes and that, but I don't have the money now. Me and the wife are both working and still this is it. We can't save. There are no holidays or meals out. And we're both on or just above the average industrial wage, so not peanuts.

Yeah I've a friend who's in a relationship like this, they actually keep track to the cent what they owe each other, going through the tesco receipt to divide it out what items were his and what were hers and what they'd split. It's so weird to me. If you're in a round of drinks with her, she'll always get her round, but be weird about it. E.g., if i'd bought two rounds, and whatever way it worked out she'd buy one round (legitimately, say we called it a night after 5 pints or whatever), the next night she'd start off with "okay, I owe you a round from the last night", which would be pooh-poohed of course, but she's the same the other way, "i bought three rounds the last night and you bought two, so you're up first tonight". Fair enough, she's right probably but it's just the way she latches onto all expenses and keeps tabs of the lot. She's on a six figure salary in one of the 'Big Four'. Now I've not met them for drinks since pre-covid, so she may have changed but I doubt it, seeing as she has been like that the decade prior that I've known her.

Freaks!

Wee little things like a coffee here and there or a drink here and there wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Fair enough if you seem to be always the one buying a coffee for someone, but keeping tabs of how many I bought and you bought.....weird!!!

I suppose be like: If I met a friend 3-4 days a week for chat and coffee and every time it was me buying, that would piss me off. Not because of the financials, more the thoughtlessness of the other person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Mine doesn't, but it's for political reasons. The bigger branch has a cafe in the lobby but my branch just has hot water to make your own hot drinks. In our case they don't want to be seen to spend taxpayer money on "luxuries" like tea and coffee for staff. It's one of those things that's just a bit too petty to get too annoyed about, but it's also annoying.

I just buy a nice brand of coffee and use a french press. It works out very cheap compared to buying a couple of coffees a day.

I believe you. Like I said, I see lots of people arrive to work with a coffee in the morning. Expensive routine compared to bringing a coffee in thermos mug. Doubt it saves time either.

I don't criticises anyone for doing it. It's their money and they can spend it however pleases them. I just consider it an expensive habit.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

This is what I think as well...

There comes a point where this is less about "money" and more about control/anxiety/etc.

My gut says it's a psychological problem - and this tight bá5tard needs help. Preferably free.

• Advertisement

No local farmers will bid on a repossessed farm

I knew someone like that .he said he learnt to economise but he did it bumming off others. He's too mean to pay the fee on a bank card so goes around borrowing people bank card to buy off Amazon. If something is 20 euro he gets them to buy in their name and gives them the 20 so saving the annual fee on the card.his books are conspiracy alien type books so most don't buy for him

He watches what people buy and then keeps a mental record to borrow it. If he wanted a book he would be trying to get someone to buy it so he could borrow it

For a funeral he bought a black trousers wore it to funeral then brought it back for refund.he is too mean to buy clothes in winter goes around in rags .he has a miserable life picking up pennies on street. Goes walking Sunday mornings to see if he can find money dropped by drunk people sat night. Sometimes does.

Horrible trait glad i don't see him now

Be as frugal as you like but don't try to live off others.

none of the locals bid on that from what i heard ? , the sale of the cows couldnt even go ahead

The guy i know also claims the bank fiddled him one time and that is why he does not have card. Nonsense just too mean If bank fiddled him he could have complained

He is obsessed with aliens too thinks they will take over humanity.never reads any books except alien visitation and abduction type books. Absolutely obsessed. And wants others to buy them on their account.

The sale of cows did go ahead a second time after the land owners father messed up the first sale.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/cradenhill-farm-advertised-for-sale-246641

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Quags

😂😂 The Sunday morning shout is unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I used to be stingy / frugal call it whatever but it was because as a family we were heavily in debt and with a number of issues draining the finances at the end of the month there was never much money available.... it was MISERABLE. A night out was planned weeks in advance, luxuries were conversation starters. Getting caught in a round of beers was a nightmare and at times a struggle to maintain... just shite.

These days I'm the absolute opposite, I have a salary that is actually double what I was on 6 years ago and spend on anything I like. I have a good pension in the background and a few quid (not a great deal) in the bank.. but there are definitely no pockets in shrouds and I honestly feel that as good as planning ahead is ( I have a bit). being able to manage to take family and friends for dinner and pay for it without wincing is great.

As good as the above sounds.. I never forget what it is like to be broke, I hated it and living from one payday to the next was life sucking. I say to my new wife (being miserable with no money ends marriages too) how lucky I feel.

Slightly off the subject I know but I can understand being stingy but I was because i had to... now I don't I am not.

When I did go to pubs with friends, we never got into buying rounds. Mainly because I had one friend in particular who could down 2 or 3 drinks in the time it would take me to finish 1. So we just looked after ourselves. It never caused any bother, and no one was ever put out.

It seems buying in rounds can cause resentments!

No, never. Government Department.

And it they did, you'd have people freaking out about the "taxpayers" paying for our coffee and looking for us to be charged BIK on it, no doubt.

• Advertisement

No, just treated the same as everyone else. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This round malarkey is going to have to come to an end soon. Things are getting way out of control with the price of booze in pubs. You have all this hipster craft shite costing stupid money and even the price of a Guinness is getting out of hand in town.

Getting rounds is alright if you are drinking the same as everyone else. But then you'll always have some bleeder drinking a Goblins bollocks that costs 7 Euro a pint, and someone else hitting the hard stuff at some point and feckin girls drinking god knows what.

Nights out with a group of mates costing the better part of a 100 Euro and you've only had 5 pints of stout. Getting sick of it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jase McG

Just start it by asking where his opinions/concerns with money came from and then just be open about it saying how you noticed the whole situation seems to be consuming him more and more.

After that you might be surprised with what you hear, don't go down the road of saying EVERYONE is troubled by it until you reach a load of resistance from him, he might get freaked out if he realises everyone is pissed at him. Hope that at least has him thinking about it in the wider scheme of things

What, you mean appeoachnit in a mature way and ask him what his concerns are and then listen? That's a very real world approach, not very After Hours though.

Did you mean to say "keep bitching about him behind is back and never actually speak to him about it"?

From what I've heard, the guy us barely on a living wage in Dublin and he's obviously conscious of his poor financial situation. But he takes it too far with things like looking for the 30c difference between coffees. Asking him to express his concerns is a very sensible idea.

Advertisement