Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband - Split Line

Options
  • 16-04-2022 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm in an area where FTTH is available, however my phoneline was split +20 years ago due to my neighbour needing emergency access to her house phone at the time.

Now when I type in my eircode/speak to any customer support agent when enquiring about this, the only thing I hear is 'your area is covered'.

But I'm almost certain none of them actually understand what I'm trying to explain and the eircode would only show the general coverage in the area.

I've tried contacting eir etc... but no one has a clue what I'm trying to ask for.

Completely out of ideas, was hoping someone could point me in the right direction as I don't want to sign up for fibre broadband then by told 'oh you're on a split line'

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

FTTH is a separate line, nothing to do with a split copper line.

Have you tried other providers other than eir?

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chad_21

I’ve tried others but no response regarding the split line.

Thanks for confirming this, a huge relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

The split line shouldn't matter at all. FTTH is a new run of fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Is there one of these on a pole near your house? A new fibre line would be run from this to your house. FTTH doesn't use the existing copper wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Chad_21

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes there is one of those boxes on the pole, I wasn’t sure if getting fibre broadband would impact on my neighbour’s phoneline as it was an issue with FTTC in the past, I’ve gathered a greater understanding now, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Comreg, the communications regulator, has begun the process of decommissioning copper and it should be gone before the end of the decade in favour of fibre and mobile.

Regarding fibre, that distribution box on the pole is a fibre splitter. In rural areas each fibre can be split up to 1:32 and in urban areas up to 1:64 per fibre.

Advertisement