Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir TV and BBC red button

• 16-04-2022 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Ten year old Humax stopped last week. Eir TV seems good option now. Part of World Championship Snooker is on BBC red button (satellite ch. 981).

Can anyone say if Eir TV includes the red button option or shows cw. 981?

Thanks

frthdo

Best Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭campo

It does not

• Registered Users Posts: 21 frthdo

Thank you campo, I was figuring that it was a satellite function only.

I will get a Freesat box which appears to be the newer version of the Humax box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Don’t waste your money. Freesat red button goes to BBC iPlayer, which doesn’t work in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The bbc red button is also a channel on satellite. When on the first channel bbc 1, scroll up on the epg list instead of down and it should appear. Obviously the iplayer will have more red button options.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I don’t think there was any suggestion that the red button was going to be removed altogether - the aspect that was being done away with (but is now paused) was the “text” service (the successor to Ceefax). No suggestion that the use of red button to access alternative video feeds was also going.

On Sky, there have been alternative ROI feeds since 2012 that don’t feature the red button prompt. This was done apparently at the behest of the IOC in the run up to the 2012 Olympics but has remained the case since (although there was a temporary red button linear channel for at least part of last year on the Irish EPG - vaguely recall that it could have been for Wimbledon.

Answers

I am aware BBC intended to end red button feature in 2019 but due to protests it was retained (for how long?) I like it as it gives much longer coverage to events than standard tv. The Humax Foxsat box has very good record facility with the features of previous Sky+ .

Satellite has been overtaken by internet and Eir is a good option (especially if BBC red button ceases)

Most strangely the Humax has started working again yesterday but at 10 years old I am not too optimistic. But I have a little time to figure it out.

Thank you icdg, that's good to know, which will steer me towards remaining with satellite. And yes, Tigerandahalf, I use the Satellite channel you mention which is 981, as I can record here but not red button.

Advertisement