Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet signal only on one phone line

• 17-04-2022 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭

HI,

I am with eir. I have on eir socket in the hall, and one in the attic. The one in the hall only has one port and the one in the attic has two. The router will only work if it is plugged into one of the attic sockets, so out of the two only one works, the other doesn't. Downstairs in the hall, even though the phone line works fine there the router won't work.

So what does this mean? With wifi problems the first thing everyone says it put your router in a central place in your house. Well I can't move mine out of my attic which since it is well insulated 300 mill of wool between 1st floor ceiling and attic conversation floor, I am left with all sorts of wifi boosters etc.

I'd like to move the router to the hall and see then if I can go the other way around.

Any tips?

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Post a photo of the attic socket if you can.

Most likely the socket in the attic is the master socket, the NTU. It splits the incoming line between phone and ADSL/VDSL. The hall socket will be an extension of the master socket for phone only.

It should be possible to move the master socket to the hall. Remove the master socket from the attic, note the locations of the various wires. In the attic join the incoming wires to the extension wires using jelly crimp connectors.

I posted a wiring diagram recently for this socket, I'll link when I get to my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Further info, the attic was converted. I am guessing an electrician had a spare "eir" box there or someone from eir changed it during a house visit, I can't remember to be honest. The one in the hall, came with the house, new build 2012. So I am puzzled how the NTU could be in the attic?

Yes, NTU in the attic, note the icons above the outlets.

• Advertisement

Yeah I felt a bit stupid posting up that picture as I am sure you can imagine, but I hope you are ok with me asking a few questions.

I am confused how the NTU could be in the attic. I'd be thinking if eir connected to the house, the NTU would be in the hall and then when the attic was converted, somehow, some way, an electrician got a wire up to the attic. What are my missing?

Post edited by The Cush on

Likely this is how the previous owners wanted it, with the router mounted in the attic, central location and out of the way.

Eir will have made the connection in the external box, the ETU, if there is one. The internal wiring is at the homeowner's discretion, and thus the NTU's location.

We are the only owners. So I am guessing the guy who did the attic moved the NTU. Does this mean that if have multiple RJ 45s ports in the house, only one can be used for the router?

Only the point where the NTU is located and directly connected to the incoming line can you locate the router.

You can of course run a cable from the NTU to a remotely located router.

• Advertisement

With multiple RJ45 ports around the house can you use a switch near the router to distribute the router output around the house? Are the outlet cables routed to a central location?

Apologies. There is one RJ11 socket in the hall. And two RJ11 in the attic. In the attic, one is marked for phone and one is marked for modem / computer (as per diagram). The thing that still puzzles me is how come I cannot get the router working in the hall? Do I need an ADSL filter or is it because there is only one NTU and that is currently in attic?

There is only one NTU connected to the incoming line, there can only be one. You're only option in this case is to move the NTU down to the hall, as mentioned above, and to join the incoming line to the extension line to the hall with the jelly crimps.

Hey thanks for that. And apols as I made a mistakes saying RJ45 when they weren't. Ok so here is what is still confusing me. We moved into this house, it was new in 2012. We got an attic converted after that. So, I am guessing the NTU had to be originally in the hall and then was moved to the attic. I am wondering did Eir do this around 6 years ago when we upgraded to fibre and I just didn't realise? So if it was moved, then it is more a case of just moving it back, so the attic is a phone line only and the data line / router line / whatever (can't think of a better word) is in the hall.

Why this would've been done this way without you knowing I have no idea.

Could the incoming line via the attic to the hall have been damaged during the attic conversion and repaired this way by eir?

I think if you move the NTU to the hall you may have to dispense with the socket in the attic and simply join the incoming line and extension line at that point in the attic, not sure if you can have a phone socket before the NTU. Someone else may be able to confirm.

Thanks a million for all the info. I am thinking if I upgrade to eir fibre to the door, they will just install a new NTU and I'll get them to do that in the hall and that might be easier to go messing around with the existing NTU. AFAIK when you get fibre to the door, eir install a new NTU for you. Thoughts...

The fibre equivalent is an ONT, a power socket is required close by. They run the fibre up to 1m into the house as a rule but they can be flexible on this

Post edited by The Cush on

Advertisement