Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone FTTP can't separate bands

• 18-04-2022 3:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy. Just thought I'd throw this in here. After 3 weeks of trying since upgrading to the 1Gb package, VF have applied Super WiFi to my account without permission. As a result, I can only have Dual Band WiFi. It took 3 weeks, but the most recent agent said they upgraded their systems recently and splitting bands is no longer possible.

Had a bad weekend with and autistic nephew staying over and his phone couldn't connect as it needed the 2.4Ghz only. House camera requires 2.4Hhz only also.

Can't believe how bad the customer care is gone since they fired us all and gave the jobs to people outside the country. Had a child screaming down the phone on one attempt. There always seems to be system issues.

Service itself is fine, but they're worse then Eir to deal with via customer care. I'm trying to get out of the contract now because of this. Gonna try Sky.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Every Vodafone modem I've had I've disabled wireless completely and connected a decent router to it.

Have you logged into to the router to check what you can do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Glaceon

A 2.4 GHz-only device would only see the 2.4 network. The 5 GHz network should have no effect on it at all. You’d be better off replacing the Gigabox with something better in any case, it’s rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I have Vodafone FTTH with SuperWIFI 'option' on the router. I have a mix of devices, some connect on a 2.4GHz band and some on 5GHz (or switch between one and the other depending on where in the house I am).

There doesn't seem to be a problem connecting for either 2.4GHz only capable devices or 2.4/5GHz capable devices.

Where are you seeing the problem connecting? BSSID might have changed, but once that has been setup on previously connected devices, it should work much as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

I have this problem too, smart plugs won't connect any more. The ones already connected are still working, but one lost connection and won't reconnect and someone switched that plug with another thinking it was a problem with the plug so now two aren't working. Vodafone's solution is to sign up to their super wifi for an extra €5 per month. There was a thread on this before where people were downloading an older version of gigabox which allowed you to switch both bands on, but i did this and my plugs still won't connect 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Apparantly it's a new update, according to the last one I was speaking to. It was working for the last 2 years, same router, when I was on the 150Mb plan. Upgraded to the 1Gb, this Super WiFi crap was put on even though I never asked for it. They can't remove it for some reason, or at least never mention it, I have to keep bringing it up. I have a security camera which will only connect to 2.4Ghz, which it was before the upgrade. But not since. Same with the nephews phone, it won't pick up the 2.4Ghz from the dual band. I asked for a second network, even the guest network, to be 2.4Ghz only, and they flat out said it can't be done.

The problem is related to devices that don't have the 5Ghz functionality. I worked for that camera crowd, and I had a pain in my face explaining that to people. It just won't connect to dual band networks, requires a 2.4Ghz SSID only. I have admin access to the router, and had to download that terrible Gigabox app, because Super Wifi is "controlling" the WiFi so I need to use the App, but the App only has an option to set it up. No option to remove or not use it so I can edit settings in the router admin. No SSID shows on the phone or camera.

So I posted because even though it's the same router, the same service but faster, Vodafone have straight out said they can't separate bands due to a recent upgrade of the system (they appear to have a lot of those in the last few years.....). I know it should be possible, but that's what Vodafone are saying.

And I would get a different router, but I don't need WiFi as much, everything I require it for is connected via ethernet, and I have an S10 so don't have the dual band issues. I shouldn't have to though. Not for something as simple as splitting bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

I've seen that, and maybe I'm too security conscious, but I don't like installing 3rd party Apps. I've had issues before, and while this is probably grand, I don't want to take the chance. I do see that it is 100% Vodafones fault now though, I shall use this to get out of contract. Thank you.

Might bang off a complaint to ComReg while I'm at it. Holding customers WiFi to ransom is not on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If you use an app like Wifi Analyser can you see both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band signals from your gigabox router?

Had forgotten about this thread, and the new layout doesn't remind you anymore!

Yes, it shows both, but I can't determine if it's showing both separately or dual. I've tried about 10 apps, and either I don't fully understand them or some of them were just crap.

But they fixed it. I don't know how. Their stance didn't change, dual band is the only option since the upgrade, but some manager did something in the background and after a hard reset of the modem, it started working again. Didn't have to change anything, my camera automatically connected, as did the nephews phone.

Still don't have the option to separate bands, admin page still telling me Super WiFi is running the WiFi and to use the Gigabox App, Gigabox App still only has the option to buy APs and nothing regarding bands. So it's working, for now. But I'm also of the opinion this may stop again at the next update. Only time will tell, but food for thought if you're getting VF FTTP, either be happy with dual-band or buy more tech to fix the problem. Or spend weeks trying to get VF to fix it. And end up with a hatred for a band you don't even know the name of, because fuk you very much VF hold music!

Advertisement