Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running after Covid?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

If the symptoms were very mild and mostly above throat then it's Omicron. Omicron and Delta are effectively different diseases with Delta more likely to spread to lungs. Delta and the current variant (a hybrid of both) infect the lungs more.

The question 'should i run after covid' or 'when can I start running after Covid' are this variant dependent.

Also note that 1.2 million people had long covid in UK on Jan 2nd 2022 (had symptoms after 4 weeks).

Those were broken down into two groups: those who had severe covid tended to have breathlessness and an ongoing cough and another group with general symtoms particularly tiredness/fatigue and can include heart palpatations, increased heartrate, effects to gut and brain, brain fog.

It is not known whether putting pressure on a body not recovered from Covid adds to the symptoms and potential disability.

That is why I would like to see this tread supported by research. It's important.

I'll try and add something later.

Again, best and safest to base strategy greatly on the cautious side.

If you have any symptoms, do not run. If you run after Covid, run completely within yourself until you are sure there are no persistent issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I will be 5 weeks post first + test tomorrow. My HR (resting & running) has finally returned to normal. I still have some fatigue (heavy legs) but that could also be due to a drop in fitness as it's closer to 6 weeks since I was running consistently due to having symptoms for 2-3 days before testing positive. I'm not in a rush back to full volume/intensity but it's a relief and a comfort to see the beginnings of a return to normal. The time 'off' has given me a chance to reassess some things so in hindsight not a bad thing at all.

Post edited by ariana` on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

I have a pain i my hole waiting to get back to some sort of normality.

5 weeks now since i went down. 5 days in bed, back running after 10 days. could only jog for a few days, improved a bit, done a bit of faster stuff, got through it but was way off what i should be doing.

since last week resting heart rate is still about 5 beats too high, running about 8k a day, v slow, and feel like i have done a hard session every day.

I have no symtoms other than being tired and an elevated heart rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Your current situation sounds quite like a couple of people In my club who are still struggling with running quite a while after having covid.

If every easy run leaves you genuinely feeling like you ran a session, have you considered NOT running every day?

I’m getting over a mild case myself and have not run in 12 days but I plan to be very cautious about the return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If your case is similar to what I experienced you can expect another month or so of high HR and your runs not feeling all the great and energetic. The good news, for me at least, is that eventually the HR will go down again and the energy will return.

As far as I know there's nothing you can do to speed up that process, so just be patient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Still no real change for me really.

Training away ok-ish - doing the 6 Mile Run in Limerick on Sunday so tried to pop in a couple of speed sessions this week to remind myself what running fast feels like.

Ordinarily my target race pace would be < 4:00 per km but won't be anywhere near that for the weekend.

In the past my faster training runs would be fairly comfortable at < 4:15 pace; my regular pace at ~4:30 - 4:45 with slow runs at 4:50 - 5:00 per km pace.

Now, everything has shifted to the right....4:15 pace is off the table and 4:30 is now my "fast pace" and even holding that for 8K was a real battle earlier on.

So the 6 miler on Sunday won't be pretty time wise...a pre-Covid target would have been at least < 39 mins but I'll be deffo nearer 43 mins and even a sub 45 could be a more realistic goal tbh.

Not getting any pains, wheeze etc but to continue my car driving analogy, it still feels like I'm on the motorway and can't go beyond 3rd gear.

My sleep is still a bit hit and miss but generally feeling grand. Hoping my running mojo returns at some stage...willing to be patient and not going to push to hard

Could you try diversifying out to include non weight bearing aerobic activities which you can make less intense (cycling?).

Many very fast runners/duathletes/triaths mix cycling and running etc with little ill effects to racing paces.

Taking the positive slant cross training is something you may need to do when youre a few years older anyway.

You can also 'test' your condition more by going very easy and LONG so pressure comes on legs not lungs. If this is not an issue for you then you'll (probably) know the issue may be lung function and you can use your training (and cross training) to work around that until you are fully recovered.

Caveat: I am no expert.

Folks, If the pressure is coming on the lungs (short breath) (and you're going to run anyway) then go easier and longer. Don't stress your lungs. So easy or one gear above (steady). Focus on using the period to get the little things incorporated into your training, so by the time you'll back firing on full cyclinders all those little 1%s are habit.

If you have persistent fatigue then that could be heart. I don't imagine putting it under serious pressure would be good at all.

Focus on getting healthy, very very mild exercise if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ewc1978

To be honest it’s a fantastic way to train anyways even if not recovering from Covid.

I improved my running and PBs dramatically by taking up cycling and adding it into my weekly training.

Saves the legs from constantly pounding them with running keeping them fresh and still builds that aerobic engine. I do quality over quantity now with my running and use the cycling for recovery and building that aerobic engine. I’ve never felt or ran better.

I wouldn’t train any other way now.

So despite all my doom mongering I actually managed to run a course PB (< 39:30) on Sunday 🤯

There was zero indication of this in my training....my longest long run was a poor quality 12K and speed work was pretty much non-existent or ended in a wheezy mess.

Still not sure how I pulled it off tbh...got a bit tired after halfway but nothing out of the ordinary. I was waiting for the inevitable blowout but it never really came...no shortness of breath and no issues since the race.

Maybe I was subconsciously minding myself or being over cautious in training (??)

Or maybe being in a race scenario with large number of runners, crowds etc helped me (??)

Hard to know either way I guess and I'm not going to spend too much time analyzing it....but it's certainly given me some hope and encouragement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

My experience is similar to a lot of people here which if anything is a small bit comforting. I got Covid back in mid March and only in the last week or two have I felt back to normal and my race results suggest I'm back where I was in terms of fitness and performance. I took 6 days off fully and even though I was over the worst after 2-3 days, I wanted my body to really get a good rest before I ran again. Overall it was about 4-5 weeks of post-disease impact which is not the worst but those few weeks are not pleasant when easy runs feel so sluggish and you question if you'll ever feel 'normal' again. I pretty much pushed through it, maybe not the smartest but I just wanted to keep showing up and putting in the effort. Eventually I came through the other side as most people seem to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

My experience so far is pretty similar to others - HR has been high on the easy runs I've been doing since covid. I only had (very mild) symptoms for a few days but continued to test positive for about 12 days. Restarted easy running in week 3, but using the HR monitor and keeping it at 65-70% HRR max (zone 2). Slow and sluggish still in week 4 but getting there. I'll be trying something a bit steadier next week. I'm still sleeping more and better than usual which suggests to me that my body is still working it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Also similar experience - mild to moderate symptoms after Easter, no chest issues. Resting HR now +10 bpm. Running very easy but struggling to stay in Z2 (120-140) in third week back, will keep it there until pace improves at that range. Breathing fine and legs good - have to hold them back. Also sleeping more and drinking liters of water. Trying to stay patient as I was just hitting form again after injury-ridden past couple of years. Good to know there's others in same situation.

Another quick update....generally feeling much much better and even starting to sleep better as well.

Haven't felt the need to use inhalers in a couple of weeks which is good, and while I still feel like I'm plodding a bit rather than running free like a wild gazelle, things are definitely trending upwards.

Still on the fence about the DCM....the thoughts of marathon training atm doesn't appeal at all but I'll hold off on making a decision for another bit.

Good luck to all 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Ah crap, 3 weeks away from Cork and these are my exact runs at the moment. 2 'runs' in the last 10 days a 6K that felt like 20, and an 8K today, where I died a death, couldn't keep in HR2. Lungs are the main issue, feels like I'm not getting a full breath and it's like I'm running through sand.

Can't see myself running a marathon in 3 weeks 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

7-8 weeks out from covid, out of curiosity I headed to parkrun on Sat with the intention of giving it a good go. Ran 80 seconds slower than the last time i gave it a good hard effort for the same HR metrics. Found it a bit demoralising as i just couldn't hold a decent pace at all. I haven't been doing much in the way of sessions bar a few strides so hoping it'll come back with a few weeks of proper training, in fairness HR is slowly coming good on easy runs now. Garmin still has me down 3 VO2 max pts overall, I dropped 4 altogether and have gained 1 back, slow and steady 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭914

Had a very mild dose of covid in early March, double vax and boosted. Running was a real struggle after having it, even though I was fine in every day life.

Heart rate high, chest very sore and legs feeling fatigued (runs were 1 min/km or more slower per km v pre covid runs). It's only in the past few weeks that I have started feeling back to myself when running.

Doc sent me for several tests just to be sure it wasn't anything other than covid recovery, all tests were clear.

Its taken me almost two months to feel fine when running and back to normal.

Heart rate can be still a little on the high side but sore chest seems to have gone and fatigued subsided.

Advertisement