Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom upstairs or downstairs?

Options
  • 18-04-2022 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

I’ve just bought an old terraced house that doesn’t have a proper bathroom, and I need to install one ASAP. It currently has three bedrooms (2 are quite small, would make 1 reasonably sized bedroom if I knocked down the dividing wall).

Should I put the new bathroom upstairs or downstairs? If I put it upstairs, it means the spare bedroom will only be 6.5 square metres. If I put it downstairs, it’ll go between the kitchen and the living room. It’s a bit more annoying to have to trek through the living room every time you have a shower, obviously, but I’m very wary of sacrificing upstairs space as it’s so limited.

Has anyone undergone a similar renovation and what do people think would be better? What is preferable if selling on in a few years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,402 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How are you planning on getting water to and from the bathroom? The first consideration when retrofitting a bathroom is the drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

If you plan on selling I would think you should put it downstairs if you can. I know someone who knocked into their box room to make the 2nd bedroom bigger & added an en-suite. It hurt them when they went to sell as they had lost the 3rd bedroom, even though it was a tiny box room. To them it was much better with 2 decent bedrooms & an extra bathroom but that's not how it worked for people buying.

Advertisement