Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenic Route Suggestions

Options
  • 19-04-2022 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hey folks, beginner rider here still on my provisional. I'm looking for suggestions for nice enjoyable drives close to Dublin (currently living on the Navan Road).

Was considering taking a spin down to hook head, but after a nightshirt maybe something less taxing might be a better idea :D

Any suggestions on somewhere decent, learner friendly (no motorways), that's not a million miles away?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm a learner too, so trying to get out to improve myself... Recently I have done Glendalough, via Kilternan, Enniskerry, Roundwood... avoid the Sally Gap route until you're more confident. I've done this one and it shows me how slow I am and I'm using it to get more comfortable on the bike, anticipate whats around corners and loosen up/lean in a bit more... I've noticed that while I think I'm at a reasonable pace, I'm actually holding back traffic. I'm not going to do anything risky, but I do want to get a bit more comfortable...

This weekend I did Dun Laoghaire to Howth along the coast. on the return trip I avoided the port area and went via the city, which was actually allot more enjoyable.

I also did Dublin to Wexford on Saturday & back, Bray, Ashbourne, Rathdrum, Arklow, Clogga with bits of dual carriageway, but avoiding motorway bits... on the way back I added Brittas & Wicklow Town.

Another I do, to go visit the brother, is Kilternan, Glencullen (Johnny Foxes), Military Road, Cruagh & down the back of Montpellier to Firhouse. Views are spectacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

That's a lot for the reply mate!

I've been to Glendalough, and went over Sally Gap too. I felt pretty comfortable but did get overtaken once or twice.

Definitely gonna take a spin to Wexford one of the days I think.

I really need to get the test out of the way so I can start getting out on Motorways haha

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I used to go over the Sally Gap a lot on my first (slow) bike, precisely because it was rough and bumpy and didn't attract the Wicklow Gap speed merchants.

Basically most of Co. Wicklow is a biker's playground... but plenty of good spins in north Co. Dublin too. around Howth, out the coast road by Portmarnock, Rush, Skerries, Balbriggan. I had a girlfriend whose folks lived in Loughshinny between Rush and Skerries, there was or is road races out in Loughshinny as well as the well known Skerries road races. Check out the Man O'War on a race weekend 😁 been to some great bike rallies there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement