Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual Teachers threaten to strike thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭fliball123

There is my post I put the specific in (240 billion), your the one muddying it up trying to compare first 17 Billion to 240 Billion and then knowing that if Netflix rack up another billion billions up in debt I will not have to pay a penny towards it. So you changed the goal posts from my original post

Post edited by fliball123 on

Hows about the teachers stop whinging after all they are already getting a pay rise on top of increments. When the teachers signed up they knew the incremental system was in place so if they didnt like why did they become a teacher if they feel slighted then let them find other work and don't expect people to just keep taking the sh11t that public sector unions try to ram down their throats. 2 years of doing little or nothing and they want a pay rise. Any parent and being one myself would agree the system for teaching during the pandemic was a clusterphuck and the majority of teachers did phuck all. At least the guards were out on duty in the front line as much as a pain in the hole that was with the 5k rule at least they were doing something to help with avoiding the spread of the virus during the pandemic and with the garda unions jumping on the band wagon is precisely why no more pay rises should be considered there are 400k+ workers in the public sector and they will all want to eat from the piggies trough - Sure who cares if we cant afford the current rate of pensions or debt and when interest starts going up and it will be going up pretty soon and lets phuck some more petrol on that fire so that my kids and grand kids will have to swallow the mountain of debt already incurred along with the extra that will be needed for this kind of nonsense. There is not much more road left for the can to be kicked down. People need to wake up and understand that its expenses like this that are prioritized over housing, infrastructure spend and taxing people less. Throw in the estimated 2% rise in interest rates by the end of next year and our debt will be a lot less easy to handle as to now when we can borrow at near 0% interest rates. Any pay rise for the public sector means more in tax and borrowing so less for everyone else. So thanks but no thanks we get a p1ss poor return already on the very high rate we pay for our public sector and services time to start cutting the fat.

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Monday 21st March wasn't a public holiday, but many teachers and their schools felt it was and took the day off regardless, dropping it like a bombshell to parents (no timely circular sent around there). I think you're asking the wrong person about understanding the concept of a public holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Circulars are issued by the Dept not individual schools.

Last time trying to explain.

Government announce extra day off for everyone in the country.

Some schools were already off that day (18th) so they decide to take their day off a different day (both staff and students benefit).

In your suggested scenario schools already off on 18th don't take an extra day off but individual teachers can book a day off to make up for it. (Only teachers benefit) see the unfairness for students now?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thiagos

Lads i dislike teachers as much as the next fella but what on earth would you expect a union to be asking for at the moment?Jesus it isnt exactly a shocker.

• Advertisement

It isnt a shocker in fact its expected hence the title of the thread as no matter how good, bad or ugly things are the unions take the gun out and put it to the tax payers head and ask for more. I think the issue now is that the penny is dropping with the general public when they see the government saying we cant do anything about the current housing issues as the money is just not there but there is money for the public sector lads, no bother lads how much do you want lads ah sure who cares if we owe out 240 odd billion sure the magic money tree that is the ECB printing press will just keep printing money hand over fist and we can borrow at zero , yet the last 2 factors are about to stop and reverse any increase now will mean more taxes on everyone or spend being diverted from areas such as housing/infrastructure to pay a sector that is already very well paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Netflix have $17 billion in debt for 11k staff, which is proportionally much higher debt per employee than the Irish public sector.

But whatever company I answered with, you'd have come back with the same response, that you're not forced to buy the service - so why ask the question in the first place, if you didn't really want an answer. It's the first rule that a lawyer learns - don't ask a question if you don't know what answer you're going to get.

And btw, you're not forced to cover the Irish public sector debt either. Feel free to find another country that suits your needs better. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

In your suggested scenario schools already off on 18th don't take an extra day off but individual teachers can book a day off to make up for it. (Only teachers benefit) see the unfairness for students now?

Your faux concern of the unfairness that students don't get an extra day off is laughable. The Bank Holiday is given to workers. Students are not workers, they are service users of the education system. Likewise those on the dole didn't get an extra day's payment or time-and-a-half, etc... because Friday the 18th was made a Bank Holiday.

The fact of the matter here is that alot of schools and teachers took the proverbial urine by selling their decision to take Monday March 21st off collectively as their "entitlement" at very short notice, thus shutting schools when a more accommodating decision could have been taken that didn't result in a smattering of schools all across the country closing.

To conclude, teachers and schools put their interests ahead of their students and the community in their actions. The same community they are now asking to pony up for pay increases at a time when we can least afford it. Own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Are we taking all other bank holidays off students too?

The fact that you have such a grudge against teachers that you don't realise that your big "gotcha" is wanting to allow teachers all to take a day off, at a time of our choosing, which only we benefit from, is hilarious.

Enjoy rationalising that to yourself. I'm out.

Well that may be an issue in the next couple of decades for those who are in their teens and twenties as we cant house our current or future population. People will have to start leaving again and when money is being diverted away from areas like housing and/or infrastructure so a well paid sector can get even more swill from the trough who could blame them.

I gave a specific sum and you reworded what I said also the employees of Netflix will not be on the hook for the money borrowed either so your argument is like yourself - POINTLESS. Anyone looking at this spat will see your full of it. I also asked if Netflix or any other private sector company borrows more and the company hits the wall will I be hit with extra taxes to cover this and the answer is NO unlike the pay rises for the public sector but you completely leave out narrative to suit yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Take the rest of the night off tomorrow will be a better day

Cant I have a deadline for tomorrow noon and waiting for some info to finish up. Currently any money going to the 400k+ PS employees is taking money out of everyone elses pockets and ignoring the other areas crying out for money like housing and infrastructure that should be prioritized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It’s YOUR argument, not mine. You asked about private sector companies, and when you get answers, you’re ruling them out for spurious reasons that apply to ALL private sector companies. Why ask about private sector companies when you’re going to rule them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What do you mean 'selling their decision' and their 'entitlement'

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

THere is a great story about Irish crabs. Look it up.

Problem is that Irish people are more concerned that someone else has something better than them. If they put their efforts into improving their own lot instead of moaning about what someone else has, they might get into a position where someone elses lot didnt bother them so much.

I work with a few ex-teachers. There are lots of teachers that change career. There are also lots that like what they do already.

Its the same in every profession.

You cant ever blame anyone for fighting to get the best salary or conditions that they can. Its something everyone should do, but instead some find it easier to just moan about others. Take hold of your own life, would be my advise. Not always easy, but much more productive than sitting steaming at your neighbors new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

You forget that public sector workers spend money in the private sector too.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Luckily your poorly punctuated, long winded rant (and that's exactly what that reads as) , means nothing. Talks on a new public pay agreement will start soon regardless of what any of you cranks say on here.

Are we taking all other bank holidays off students too?

For a teacher, you do really labour hard on the uptake of the point being made over and over and over on here to you...

Did all teachers and all students have Friday March 18th 2022 off? Yes - it was a Bank Holiday. Therefore NO student missed out on a Bank Holiday day off.

Was Monday March 21st 2022 a bank holiday? No, so schools remaining open on that day would not effect students getting their Bank Holiday (which they're not entitled to anyways) as they got it on the previous Friday.

It was schools and teachers pulling a fast one and bumping an already generous 4 day weekend up to a 5 day weekend - because they're special and for no other reason. And here's a clue - no other industry collectively pulled this fast one - just teachers. Own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The makes sense if you are talking about 2 private sector workers. If another company is making a lot of money and wants to increase pay, then fair play to them. The issue with public sector rises is always that we will either look at increased taxes to pay for them (the USC isn't to pay my wages) or we will have less money to spend on some other needy group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Lavish? No. But it's well above median and slightly above the average wage in the country. All for considerably less days worked than all other professions that make up those median/average figures.

So neither lavish nor hard done by.

The irony of that post may be lost on you. Let’s hope you aren’t a teacher.

Lord what dont you understand? The school calendar is made in September , the government announced an extra bank holiday on the Friday the month of the bank holiday.

Most schools had taken a discretionary day on the Friday already so that day was a holiday, they therefore had an extra day to take so they added it on to make a longer weekend. I'm assuming you wanted schools to say a fu<ck it we only work the odd they here and there anyway so we will hand back this holiday the government gave us and will work through it. Did you do that yourself??

The school calendar is not set in stone what is set is the number of days worked each year. This year was an anomaly we haven't been given an extra bank holiday before - not since I've been working at any rate.

So slightly above average, but not lavish, perhaps reasonable??

It's the holidays isn't it? It always comes back to the holidays

Infairness I think the big elephant in the room here is inflation. Outside of the holidays which are well covered here. I mean should kids be in school all summer? I dont think so we adults work all year some with 20 days and look at the bitterness on here towards people who dont.

As much as people dont like teachers and certainly the pandemic didnt make them shine. I can vouch for that as a parent.

Why shouldn't they look for a pay rise for 6 odd % inflation? We all should be demanding this or the government cool down the economy. There are plenty of ways here.

Teachers off or not they still need to feed and house their own kids during the summer etc.

If we are looking to reduce the PS Bill's or make them performance based its should be done against everything the money is spent on not teachers.

Reduce Welfare Bill's, housing bills, foreign aid,TDs salaries etc and invest the savings in our youth and infrastructure including decent schools and educators.

I mean 20 years ago we were all moaning about institutional schools and corporal punishment etc again I can vouch for this having went to one.

Kids are getting a great education here today. A lot people come home to educate their kids. Career guidance and curriculum in schools has gone from oh your a bit thick you can be ...etc to development. It's great to see it.

Who changed that the teachers did.

Lotd of begrudgery on here. People spouting more shite like housing etc.

Yes let's build more €24 a week houses etc I'd rather my tax went on a service not housing a career no worker. Before people jump down my throat the GENUINE cases should be housed.

Best of luck to the teachers school is different than it was 30 years ago if they can get a raise more power to them.

I honestly think that some people cant get over having a teacher they didnt get on with.

These things fester for so many years. Then with anonymous discussion boards they feel that they are getting back at their teachers.

Thats the only explanation I can think of for this irrational hatred of one sector.

There was a time when I wished I had of become a teacher, just for the holidays. As time went on though i realized that they would have actually contrained me more than the career ive carved out for myself now. But I never hated them for it or wanted it taken away from them just because i didnt have it myself. It seems to be a uniquelyIrish trai, to look at others and want to take away what you feel you dont have, instead of striving to get it for yourself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

There is no bitterness towards the holidays, they are a part of the job, a benefit. They need to be taken into account when comparing salaries with other professions. I certainly don't think kids should be in school during the summer. The government needs to resist the urge to chase short term inflation with rising PS salaries, we have tried it many times before and it hasn't worked well, disastrous even.

The education system isn't bad, it's around average for an OECD country, so kind of where you would expect it be. Not bad but not great.

There are a lot of demands on the government, personally I would prefer to see a reduction in the "temporary" USC. A lot of people renting (i don't rent) would like to see a return of the renters tax credit. Lots of things money could be spent on without having to spend it on people you would deem unworthy.

Ah right, repressed resentment toward a school teacher from yesteryear. Though that certainly would fit nicely into the narrative, personally I never had issues with teachers during my student days. Maybe you should consider that it isn’t an irrational hatred of one sector, rather a criticism of their sense of entitlement and overinflated sense of importance.

You sound exactly what i am talking about tbh :)

But carry on. Noone will change you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's simply input v output. You can't compare apples and oranges. If I'm doing double your hours you best believe I'm entitled to double your pay.

If you think you deserve the same pay as another citizen for half the time they spend in work you're entitled. There's no other word for it.

Advertisement