Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post trying to charge duty and VAT on commercial returns.

Options
  • 19-04-2022 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

My company regularly receives returns from outside of Ireland. Recently I have noticed that they are being hit with duty by An Post, even though the packages are marked as commercial returns on the shipping label. Sometimes I receive the item before the letter comes in the post to pay the charge. I always go online and click "refuse charge" but now some items are being shipped back to the customer as I will not pay the duty. Seems like another glitch in An Posts way of doing things. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

ah shure if it was that easy to get around the system we'd all be getting "returns". I'm certain that whiskey order should be marked as "commercial returns"

Would it not be best to call the revenue commissioners and ask them how they should be labelled. There may be a specific formula and you probably have to provide the labels

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

A good thread here from before https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058184724/repairs-in-the-uk-after-brexit#latest

As previous poster said, if it was that easy everyone would be at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭n.d.os

It's all been a bit up in the air with them the last two years. They're very unreliable now with international mail. Even posting within Europe is becoming a problem.

Advertisement