Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to replace hard drive and keep Windows?

Options
  • 19-04-2022 3:10pm

So my laptop started acting dodgy, started getting an error on boot, suggesting a loose cable or from a google the SSD was failing.

Opened it up and nothing seemed loose, power on, same again.

So anyway, since it's a decent laptop (Thinkpad) and has buttons on the trackpad (seems to be almost gone from lower-end machines now, is nice to use and has a free RAM slot as well, I thought I might as well stick a new HD in it.

I've no idea what my licence key is. I have no way (afaik) to back-up the existing HD through windows. So where/how do I get Windows to install on new HD and how do I sort the licence?

(Have pretty much accepted the data on old SSD is gone)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

If it's got a window 8 or Windows 10 sticker on it license is attached to motherboard (not literally) so just stick in new hd and install windows

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

Usually you should be able to install the same edition (i.e. "Pro", "Home Edition") of Windows and it will automatically activate, especially if you currently login to a Microsoft account.

Where do I get Windows from to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Cordell

Choose your version and then download the media creation tool, which can create a bootable USB drive or DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Clone it, disk to disk, with Aomie or something.

You might have a digital windows licence tied to your Microsoft account.

Edit- sorry missed the bit where you said your drive was gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Exactly. No need for clean install with all the hassle and time to get it right that brings.

Clone your existing HDD to a new SSD. Usually, when you buy a name brand SSD the manufactueres will give you a link to a utility you can download to clone your old disk onto the new one. However, being a laptop, you might need to have a usb ssd caddy to do this task, or just take the HDD out and put both the HDD and SSD into a desktop that has free SATA/NVME slots.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Yeah, I had ordered something to back it up but it died altogether before I had a chance.

Cheers lads, I'll get it downloaded and see how it goes. Looking around and licence keys seem cheap so if I've to drop 30 quid it's not the end of the world. I don't sign into a MS account on the laptop and I got it used so there's a BS account manager thing on it that I'm afraid to touch. 😅 Thinking I might just take the chance for a completely fresh installation and link it to my MS so it's a bit handier in future.

Advertisement