Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyson Fury v Dillian Whyte - Wembley Stadium - April 23rd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭BK5

Said it over a 100 posts ago, why is a pro boxer of Whytes size/height coming into the biggest fight of his life at least a stone overweight? He was always a plodder with a poor gas tank and he's coming into a fight with a guy with a proven good gas tank and he didn't prepare himself?

Fury needs to fight again, beating Whyte is no end to a career.

Can't believe I'm going to say it but David Haye actually talked sense tonight! 😀 First time in a long time there hasn't been pure slurry coming out of his mouth, maybe having a true legend like Lennox Lewis beside him made him cop on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

I think the only remaining question is how Usyk would do against Fury.

If Fury retires before testing that there will always be questions.

I'd guess Fury knows this but can get a bigger piece of the wedge if he threatens retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

While that statement was clearly ridiculous, Whyte actually does have a very good record relative to his ability level.

He managed to win several close fights; Parker, Rivas, Chisora (I & II), who are similar level fighters to him. He also beat Helenius, a shot Lucas Browne, a shot Povetkin (the second time around), so on paper it doesn't look to bad.

But let's be honest, most of us knew the reality of what would happen here. At least until fight week, when people started to over analyse things, get drawn into the hype and start predicting Whyte had a good chance !

Lads. Do you think whatever happens in the Usyk fight, Joshua vs Fury might still happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Whyte is a decent gate keeper to the top 3 or 4,

He'd give AJ a good fight but Fury and Usyk are to skilled, I still think the manner of the win is impressive, Whyte would get beat by the other top heavy weights but would be a rainy cold night in stoke meaning hed make them work for every round but Tyson was miles to good

Fury can do it all he makes life so, difficult for everyone

I didn't think Whyte was over weight, look hes never ever going toout move and out box Fury so, he thought a bit extra would help roigh him up,

What can he do hes dammed if he does and dammed of he doesn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

Joshua/Usyk will happen first and the winner will fight Fury.

So no I don't think a Joshua/Fury fight will happen 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fury is a mountain of a man..

Usyk will find it difficult to engage an offence against him.

AJ has the more physical tools and punch delivery to be more a threat.

Whyte looked tiny in there against Fury. Odd looking spectacle..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bassy

worked for me and many others,are you sure your dish was pointing at 19.2e and not 28.2e

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Usyk has fast feet, hands and a great tank. He can get in and out and land punches against Fury although I don't think he can hurt him much. AJ is just another stiff and slow fighter made for Fury.

Usyk vs Fury is a much better fight than AJ vs Fury

Your right there, but with the history between the two, it would be the biggest British fight in history, a hell of a lot of money and fury thinking I cannot walk away without beating the snot out of this guy and showing everyone who is the king :)

• Advertisement

Nobody gave Whyte anything other than a KO chance. It’s HW boxing. The chap is muck.

Plenty here been saying this for quite a while, and they have been again proved right by his muck showing tonight.

so away with ya, troll!😜

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

6 inches height difference is a big challenge.

But the height, reach and size difference is what I believe Usyk will suffer from. Not saying he cannot win, just a very difficult task

AJ taller, longer, heavier and rangier than Usyk, with more power. I think this lends better v Fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭DaithiMa

Absolutely comical how some still blow the AJ trumpet. The chap is barely better than Whyte. Sure Whyte had him staggering around the ring at one point when they fought. Joshua is the biggest cod in boxing for the last 20 years. A proper Hearn/Sky hype job. He's been well beaten by the two best 'boxers' he's faced and he only won the Ruiz Jr rematch because Ruiz didn't prepare properly.

Fury would absolutely destroy him. Joshua not fit to lace his gloves. I'd give Usyk a proper chance v Fury though. Only heavyweight with a good enough boxing brain (and the speed/skills) to come up with a plan to possibly beat him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Fury going on about jesus christ as if he's some religious do gooder and he in bed with Kinahan.

Height, reach and power doesn't work against Fury as his last few opponents have proved. AJ has no chance against him, Usyk has a small chance because of his speed.

I agree on the skills/brain thing, but still need to factor in huge weight/height/range difference…6 inches height, 50 lbs weight and 8-10 inches reach….

AJ would be an underdog, but likely 10-15 lbs lighter, 2/3 inches shorter and very minimal reach difference; as well as having more KO shot type power than Usyk..

simetimes it’s more physical than anything else..

You cannot discount height, reach and weight and power when matching men against a man as big as Fury….They absolutely can play a part in how boxers do against him.

yes, other things like speed, feet, chin and stamina can also matter. But you cannot flat out dismiss physical attributes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Jesus hung around with Judas and a few other undesirables.

You need skills and boxing IQ to get into a position to utilise that power and physicality. Joshua hasn't got them. He's a manufactured fighter, musclebound, stiff, upright with very little natural ability. He has been completely outclassed by the two best boxers he has faced (when in shape) and Fury is as good as a boxer if not better than both of them (and nearly a foot taller). It would be as easy a night's work for Fury as tonight was.

• Advertisement

Nobody is saying AJ is the most skilled boxer. But I think you’re being over-critical here.

He can still box, punch, attack, defend, unload, finish, hit hard, long, hit heavy…

and he is 245 or so lbs at 6 feet 5/6…

Put it this way, he’s far better than Whyte! Although that isn’t too difficult.

let’s wait and see how AJ-Usyk goes..

personally I’d prefer a Usyk-Fury fight

I don’t know, AJ got sparked by Ruiz and I’m not sure he is different class to Whyte or Chisora. Parker beat a young Ruiz. I think Parker, Ruiz, Chisora, Whyte are all pretty much at the same level and AJ is not much better.

Come on. He is far better technically than Whyte. He also knocked him out.

Chisora? You’re having a laugh, surely!

Chisora is the lowest league.

Parker far better than Chisora, and really, should be beating the likes a Whyte.

AJ also beat Parker clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭briany

He's done WWE already. That's not to say he wouldn't be tempted to return, but I couldn't imagine him hanging around. It would be another in and out job.

UFC is an interesting proposition, but it's another fighting discipline that would have to be learned.

He's a born entertainer. I'd have to think he'd have a go at acting. Follow the Vinnie Jones and Jason Statham model.

Never rated Joshua and never will. He got a very dodgy decision against a Cuban at the London Olympics (4th countback I think) and his whole career was built on it. Sky and Hearn marketed him brilliantly, fair play to them. He's European level. At best.

Usyk and Fury would definitely be the more intriguing fight, I agree with that. Usyk would have a lot more than a puncher's chance. I'd just rather see Fury knock Joshua out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,770 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Whyte looked like he knew he had no chance from the opening bell, compare that to when he fought Joshua and they had a shoot out and this was Joshua who had never been hurt at that point.

id give whyte a better chance now against the current version of Joshua than when he fought him the first time, we could see that rematch yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Yeah and in the same post I said I thought Fury would win by points. Not a Whyte fan at all here just don’t buy into all the scutter Fury fans seem to believe. I still stand by Whytes record having far better names on it, Fury will continue to avoid the tougher fights (or retire) and the illusion of him being some sort of “great” of boxing will continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Bit like the padre pio pic on the dash of a van while a score of stolen power tools in the back

Culture eh

Advertisement