Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appliance repair in rental

Options
  • 19-04-2022 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if I can call out someone to fix a washing machine and cover the cost myself?

I'm not that long in my rental and I already asked the agency to fix the same machine a few weeks ago and it was fixed but I've got a new problem now. And I'm kind of afraid to ask a second time in case they use it as an excuse to kick me out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

You could. Nothing stopping you getting the repair done yourself. But the landlord should be the one doing it by right as it is their responsibility.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

What's the problem?

If its not something you caused, don't be afraid to get the agency to fix, it's just unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,051 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

LLs have a habit of repairing appliances that should be replaced. If it's broken so quickly after the last time then it's the LLs fault and not yours.

LL should pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Landlord should and probably will repair if it was not deliberately damaged. Don't be afraid to tell them it need repair. May be old and needs to be replaced.

Speaking as a Landlord I always encouraged tenants to report faults asap and always replaced appliances when it made economical sense, rather than paying for repaires.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

As a landlord there is a tipping point of repair v replace from a financial perspective. For smaller items I tend to let the tenants arrange repairs / replacement themselves and I knock the cost off the rent. All subject to prior agreement on costs and a proper receipt. Less hassle over all for everyone involved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement