Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the fastest marathon in Ireland?

Options
  • 19-04-2022 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Essentially, I'm wanting to get motivated and run my best time. To do so I'll be needing to register for the easiest marathon course in all of Ireland (that still might act as a qualifier for other events). Open to events in neighboring countries too.

All suggestions welcome.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

If you're willing to consider heading over to mainland Europe for more options - Rotterdam (though think it's just gone last month?) and Amsterdam (October). Berlin of course too, but this year's entries are already closed... Netherlands events definitely more budget friendly, on entry fee and accommodation both

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

On the same note, what are the really fast 5 and 10ks in Ireland? I mean on a fair course, not the Jingle Bells 5K! I want a PB I can stand over.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Bob Heffernan 5k next Tuesday evening in Johnstownbridge near Enfield. Super 5k, draws big numbers of club runners looking for PBs

Yeah, I thought that would be quick from the look of it. Sadly I am working then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

St Cocos 5k kilcock 24th June is a great race.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the ideas.

Post edited by pc11 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tomphar

what are the fastest 10k events during summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Dunshaughlin is fast but not because of flatness. More to do with the quality of runners and getting "pulled along" or inevitably having people to work with.

Coillte 10k is about as flat as it gets I'd say.

Banna 10k isn't the worst route of you get a calm day.

I've heard Clonee is quick but I don't know for sure.

Tralee 10k is pretty flat.

Plenty of others no doubt but can't think of them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Just bumping this thread to let yis know entries for Kilcock 5k close this Friday - heading for >600 for entries and with reduced parking this is the limit hey can comfortably hold. IF you are going plan to get there early as there is less parkign than normal (half the infield of the track gone with sprint lanes and the building work next door means feck all parking there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Parking on an infield? What a travesty! Sounds like the Indy 500. Kilcock is on a train line...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Not to mention last year they were advising marking on the other side of the canal across from the finish (where I parked myself). Bit of a trek to the start but that covered the warm-up 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Any Dublin Docklands 5k is fairly flat. The main one is happening on 23rd June though, and I don’t see anything about the GT5k (grant Thornton) this year. The “run In The dark” maybe on in November, but can be an organisational shambles.

Advertisement