Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

separation of waste in black bin (especially ferrous metal)

• 20-04-2022 9:28am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭

i have a bucket in the shed into which i throw scrap bits of metal; nails, screws, there's an old steel wok in there too at the moment. maybe once a year or two i bring it to the metal recycling place nearby. am i wasting my time? i.e. are such ferrous metals automatically removed from waste from the black bin and recycled, or does such processing take place?

i'm in the suburbs on dublin's northside, so i suspect a lot of waste from here could go to the incinerator, and assumed they prefer to remove metal before incinerating it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

id love to know this myself, but i think you might be better off keep doing what you re doing, id like to think theres some form of screening prior to incineration, but you d have to wonder how effect it is, its an astonishing amount of waste to screen, and i suspect if some metal gets through the system, it just gets landfilled with the rest of the ash

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the reason i mentioned ferrous metal is that (i assume!) should be child's play to take out, just a big electromagnet required.

i have a vague memory of seeing something about being able to ping out non-ferrous metals by inducing eddy currents in them?

yea you are right, metals can be pulled out by electromagnets, but id have to wonder if thats actually occurring at any great extent in our incinerators, theyd be expensive to install and run, and would operators be willing or able to do this! i wouldnt be surprised if very little screening is occurring pre incineration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,905 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Black bin waste is gone over for potential recoverables, by at least some providers. Cheaper for them than paying for incineration or landfill.

they are indeed, i had a relative work for such a company for a while, but id imagine when it comes to incineration, and all other processes, throughput is critical, i.e. getting as much as possible through as quick as possible is key, in order maintain high efficiency, so therefore it would make sense that some recoverables are getting through

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

might just be easiest for me to email greyhound and ask.

....or would a company just fill you with a pack of lies, so to give the impression of compliance?

on a webchat with one of their people

"We don't allow any metal items in any of the bins. Also, we have sorting facilities which separates the waste types automatically."

"surely lots of waste contains metal, e.g. soiled aluminium foil from cooking, etc.?"

"Yes. Such metal items are allowed in the bins."

well, that settles that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Light metal like cans should be OK, but big bits might jam up the works or be a potential injury hazard for workers sorting it out.

It would be much easier to separate out metal from ash than mixed waste. As long as it isn't something like aluminium that melts at a lower temperature.

Advertisement