Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail app ticket purchase

• 20-04-2022 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am heading into the office tomorrow, I previously had an annual ticket so I didn't have to deal with these things. The few times I have gone in in the past 2 years I have driven.

I am heading from enfield to connolly, so, just outside "commuter" and its intercity.

The online ticket prices are 5.69 a way, better than I expected, but it does state that "Your ticket is valid on the selected service only" so, the intention is to get the 07.10 train inwards, I can be confident about making that and the 17.10 on the way home, but sure, you never know which eejit will grab hold of you on your way out of the door of the office.

Will someone actually have a go at me if I try to get on the 17.17 train with the 17.10 ticket?

Should I just suck it up and pay the extra 3 quid for the day return at the ticket machine in the station instead of buying tickets online?

What about the app? if I buy a ticket in the app, do I need to print it, or does it just work on my phone screen like an airport boarding pass?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Intercity selected service only tickets cannot officially be used on other trains; and as far as I know these are the only type of tickets available online currently. Flexible fares need to be modified an hour in advance. However, at least for Maynooth/Kilcock passengers using IC trains, they have only cared that you have a ticket at all - should you be willing to risk it.

You need to print the ticket, the barcode scanners are in place at some gates but not yet in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Use the ticket on any train, nobody is going to kick you off. No point in paying extra for tickets and the chances of an actual ticket check are low.

The only way you might be refused travel on a different service is if there was a major event on and staff might actually be enforcing the policy for crowd control.

Advertisement