Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taurus 992 .22LR/.22Magnum revolver legality?

Options
  • 20-04-2022 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Recently I saw this gun advertised on gun shop.ie https://www.gunshop.ie/TAURUS-992-22LR-MG-TRACKER-6-5SS-p458008530

the 992 is a revolver that includes two cylinders the first is 9 rounds of .22 LR and the other is a 9 round cylinder in .22 Magnum as far as I am aware the only short arms / pistols still licensable are in .22 long rifile so I found it interesting to see this pistol for sale mabye you could argue that it is technically a .22LR pistol ?? I’m also aware that one part of our firearms law states .22 rimfire caliber and another states .22 long rifile so it’s quite confusing

Post edited by Cass on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cannot have it with the 9 shots regardless of caliber. The law states only 5 shots in rimfire. The 2008 SI made it 22 rimfire:

firearms using .22 inch rim-fire percussion ammunition.

and was amended in 2009 to limit it further to 22lr only and include the 5 round limit:

other firearms using 0.22 inch long rifle rim fire percussion ammunition provided that the maximum magazine capacity of such a firearm does not exceed five rounds and that the barrel length of the firearm is greater than 10 cm.”.

You could get it plugged to only hold 5 and then be within the law (only using it as a 22lr, not as magnum or any other rimfire), but the link shows the firearm to be sold out so its possible its an old advert just never removed.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Funny how all revolvers, irrelevant of limits placed to their cylinders setting them at 5 shots don’t confirm to the legislation in so much as they don’t have a magazine… 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It’s legal, and can be licensed, but license would only be for the 22lr cylinder. A second cylinder would require a second license - case in point, sako quad.

Advertisement