Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i start eating vegetables and salads??

• 20-04-2022 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi there I’m 35 years old male and never eat any salads or vegetables except potatoes and carrots. I’m overweight but would really like to start eating healthy! For years I’d try different vegetables…etc but as soon as it’s in my mouth I’d spit it out again mainly due to the horrendous taste. Can anyone help or any tips thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

For salads fresh garlic chopped with mayonnaise dramatically enhance the taste. However, if you can't eat vegetables all the time, perhaps consider carnivore diet, keto diet is a good start.

Post edited by GoogleBot on

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Chop them up relatively small and put them through your food.

Making bolognaise or lasagne, cook them up in the sauce with the meat. For lasagne use aubergine or squash sliced thinly instead of pasta.

Stir fries and rice dishes but the veg through the rice and then add your seasoning, fish sauce, soy sauce, garlic, chilli or whatever suits your taste buds. If you like sweet veg like carrots use sweet soy sauce instead of regular.

How you cook the veg is important, cook it to death and its going to be tasteless mush with all the nutrients in the water. Just heating it through with enough seasoning will help taste and texture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Listen/read Allen Carrs good sugar bad sugar book.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I find the slow cooker great for getting veg into our children (they're not actually that bad in the scheme of things). Most of them disappear into the sauce, and/or the nutrients that may be lost in cooking with boiling are in the sauce. But you could also blitz them into the sauce too, if it's a meat that you can lift out.

Stir fries with spices or a spice pack you like - fajita or spice bag. Air fryer too if you have one (not sure I'd recommend buying one just for this).

Salads was just time with me - start with something simple like iceberg lettuce bag, and some of the other bags. Dress them with a sauce you like, like sweet chilli, or relish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭CPTM

I think another thing people do wrong is line up mountains of salad and vegetables. That's great if you like it, but if you don't, start small and give yourself a bit of a break. Just start with a small piece of brocolli along with your main meal, or a small side salad. You don't eat 4 or 5 kiwis at a time, so why eat 4 or 5 large pieces of brocolli. Eat one to begin with, over time your ability will increase.

Also, a nice tip I have is buying fresh spinach from the green area of the supermarket (not the freezers) and throwing that fresh bag into your freezer at home. The leaves harden and when you're making a bolonaise or tomato based sauce, take the bag out and crumple up all the leaves which will all break into spinach dust. You can then open the bag and pour in the frozen/broken up spinach and it will melt away to nothing in the sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I’d suggest starting slow & grabbing a lunch from a good veggie restaurant. Then when you find a few bits you like, try to recreate similar at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

use them in stews, curries, spaghetti bolognaise, salad sandwiches, casseroles etc.

Eat them because they are healthy even if you don’t love the taste. I just don’t believe the taste is that awful you have to spit them out. That sounds like something a 4 year old would do 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,522 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Modern keto relies heavily on green leafy veg like cabbage and cauliflower and broccoli. The old Atkins diet didn't have veg.

Not wanting a discussion about keto, I just wouldn't recommend modern keto to someone who doesn't eat veg.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,522 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If I didnt eat veg then I think my biggest barrier would be figuring out how to cook veg to make them tasty.

I'd say that's the first job, OP. If you don't like boiled veg, try roasting them. If you do boil veg, try adding a stock cube to the water for flavour. Try making curries with a lot of veg and some meat and use meat stock cubes to add meaty flavour.

But think about different ways of cooking the veg and do some trials to see which ones you like better than others.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Can you eat vegetable soup?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 kinney

Just eat them! I like veggies. And my stomach likes them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Experiment with bags of mixed salad leaves and stick some into sandwiches.

You can also put them on the side of meals with a bit of dressing.

You will find some suit better than others.

Also buy a very sharp knife to slice tomatoes ultra thin, it makes them easier to take if you are doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Make salads with the following four components. Proportion-wise no.1 is the largest and you reduce.

1) Salad staples: green leaves, spring onions, cucumber. Optional tomatoes, avocado, beetroot, roasted veg, bell peppers.

2) Meat, fish or cheese.

3) Fruit (fresh or dried) and nuts.

4) Create homemade salad dressing in an empty glass jar using any combination of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, agave, chili flakes, lemon or lime juice, mustard, chopped fresh herbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Actually don't know who said/made keto relies on veg. It was dirty keto in the past what we tried to avoid and removal of processed foods & introduction of carefully selected veg to Keto as a result.

To avoid being eaten prematurely most veg evolves defence mechanisms. Healthy humans can neutralize toxins, however as we age this process becomes less effective.

As, for example nasty brocoli leads to hyperthyroidism, and due to which, you experience problems like weight gain, fatigue, hair loss, and a bloated face...

Advertisement