Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to use U.S. audio components in Ireland?

Options
  • 21-04-2022 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

We're moving to Ireland from the U.S. and trying to figure out which appliances we should replace outright and which we can continue to use with adapters.

Does anyone know which US voltage stereo components (if any) are safe to run off of an Irish/UK current adapter? I assume turntables are out, unless they have an external speed controller, which mine do not. Cassette players are probably the same.

But what about power amplifiers and pre-amplifiers? Safe running those through an adapter + surge protector, or is there a risk of damage? CD players?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

US electricity is 110V 60 Hz, while we have 230 V 50hz.

Many modern stuff uses DC V 12v being quite common. If any of your devices use this, then you just need a new power unit.

Some stuff has a power requirement of 100V to 230 V 50/60 Hz. If you have these, then you just change the plug. Check the power label on the device. Some devices can have a jumper inside that allows the voltage to be changed.

If the unit has a transformer, then this is normally bad news. Transformers are much more efficient* at 60 Hz than at 50 Hz, so when running at 50 Hz (with a voltage step up) they overheat, and can be dangerous. Power tools are particularly bad. Things like washing machines, cookers, etc are not worth bringing over anyway - generally they do not physically fit. [24 inch instead of 600 mm].

I do not think anything modern uses the 50 Hz as a time reference.

Get professional advice - perhaps retailers might help - either there or here.

*The American transformer is smaller and lighter and uses thinner lamina plates (because they can) - it is one advantage with 60 Hz.

Advertisement