Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep s

2»

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Id assume the 3rd would be alright. But hardly any need to wait till after the 01. No point holding out to till the last second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,787 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Get proof of postage in case there's any crap over it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Well, I got my Dung Samples sent away today. Sample bottles came yesterday. Now, they came sealed in the envelope I was supposed to send them back in. I still can't figure out how, I could get the empty sample bottles out of the sealed envelope without ripping it, and then used the same envelope to send them back in. 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭hopeso

It sounds like a cock up at the lab. Probably under pressure with a last minute rush. If it's anything like the envelope that they sent me, they done well to fit the 10 bottles into it. It took me a good while anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Pack I got came with same return envelope as the bvd one, all fitted in and sealed

Hired the scales and got them weighed today. Jeez it was tough going. Am I the only one that experiences this? First weanling in the chute, would not get on the scales no matter how many times I hit it. Got a brainwave and let a narky cow in behind him and she gave him a jolt. He wasn't long moving then.

Scales is bloody heavy too, to be lifting on your own. Got them done anyway. Glad to have it over.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Found the easiest way with those lads was tempt them out by opening the head gate and closing it before they got out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Cover the scales in hay and dung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

I weighed them Saturday and had to get in the chute & push a couple of them up on to it. Stock too quiet is my issue. They'll just stand there for a scratch so moving 380kg weanlings not easy. Not a fan of hitting as drives them mad.

They had a great thrive since I started creep feeding them (weighed in August when I started). All LM/X and averaging just over 1.5kg/day Vs 1.3 before.

• Advertisement

Can the scales be set to zero with the hay and dung on it, or do you have to subtract the extra weight each time?

I think a good way is to leave the headgate open, and run them through the crush a couple of times over the scales. Maybe have a cow or two along with them to get them moving. Once they're used to crossing the scales, and realising there's a way out at the front, they'll stand on it better.

Every scales differs but most can be tarred to zero. Sop of hay and dung be 5-10 kg max. I doubt the calibration tolerance of them is that tight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Found that year’s ago, no issues now. What I done was run them up the shoot with front gate open to let them get use to walking up onto the scales, then back up the shoot to be weighed. Another no no is weigh & then dose, they’ll not want to get on scales the next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Dozer1

When I'm on my own I put the scales at the back of the chute let them in one at a time and back them back the chute and onto the scales and its no bother weigh them then

They are more inclined to go back alright, but do you not have trouble getting them into the crush with the scales at the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Nope as they see nothing in front of them. At the top of the chute they see the gate first which stalls them going forward

That's a good idea. I always think that there should be an animal held at the top of the crush outside the head gate. When the second animal is caught in the head gate, then release the front one. Never seen it anywhere but it would speed things up.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

When did the ICBF login crash? Can those clowns not even keep their miserable website going.

Was working fine yesterday afternoon anyway. Hopefully short term thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭minerleague

Advertisement