Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

44 Next Birthday -I am bored with my Life

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Mid 40s here and expecting our first in the near future, thanks for the vote of confidence, idiot

-------------------------------------------

Warned for Personal Abuse.

There is a standard of posting expected in this forum. Read The Forum Charter and stick to it. Breaches of the charter regularly result in bans from this forum.

- Big Bag of Chips

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I say loose weight op. You would mentally feel better, you wouldn't be drinking as much (as putting in a good effort in the gym makes us not want to drink), you will gain confidence because you will feel you look better and you've more chances when you are slim and fit to find someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

As I guessed would happen, you haven't returned to the thread to even acknowledge the advice people have taken the time to give you. That's fine - you are under no obligation to come back and update us. But still, I think you should ask yourself why do post about how crap and empty your life is, then do absolutely nothing? I've been reading this very same problem here for years. Don't you think it's time you stopped feeling sorry for yourself and took responsibility for your life. Nobody else is going to, you know. You have the ability to take actual action and make improvements to your circumstances.

Unless you decide enough is enough and do something proactive, you'll be back here in a few years time with an "I'm about to turn 50" version of the original post. You'll still be friendless and living an empty life. You'll likely have gained more weight, you'll still be drinking too much and you'll have a PS6 in your living room. I'm right, aren't I? From what I can see, the only step you ever seem to take towards shaking up your life is to write a hit and run post on boards. In other words, you get all your woes off your chest which helps briefly, then you sit back and do nothing. Worse still, you ignore every piece of good advice you're given by people, you don't engage with the threads you start and you simply continue on as you were.

There is no magic pill that will make your life better and nobody on boards can wave a magic wand to help you. We can advise you until the cows come home but the only person who can start the ball rolling is you. A post on boards might fool you into thinking you've done something about your problem but it is not going to move the dial even a fraction.

Post edited by Tork on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

Take a small step on a regular basis. Join a meet up, try a new activity -cooking, photography ? Walking football, tag Rugby etc. Change can only be taken by you. If you want more support or understanding have a think about counselling to help work out your next steps. Self care and self belief will support your goals. Getting into a rut is easy getting out is a challenge and takes motivation so figure out what is your motivation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Mens sheds and meetup.com are great for meeting people.

Night courses (Cooking public speaking etc.) are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I'm an introvert and I joined meetup and facebook groups and it's a goal/ experiment for me to do one social thing a week or every other week. Lot's of people who show up are also shy and introverted. One of the best meetups has been a walking group because you're moving, you can look away at your surroundings and you aren't face to face necessarily you can move around easily and talk to different people or just stay silent for a while so you can enjoy the view.

Boardgame groups also attract other nerdy folks. There are groups for gamers as well and training groups for people at box gyms.

It's tough initially but if you take the first step then the next time you go you will recognise people and feel more and more comfortable each time.

Trust me I'd rather lie in bed all day and read but I understand that I need human connection for my mental health if nothing else.

Advertisement