Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ukrainian Refugees in Ireland - what you say?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭rolling boh

There is bound to be some negative views about the Ukrainians once people are hit in the pocket that will happen . I do believe we should do as much as we can but if the numbers are huge that will cause all sorts of issues .Already we are starting to get tents ready and the talk of that being temporary is most likely wishful thinking .People are going to have to accept serious economic problems over the next couple of years unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

There was a time when the people of Ireland needed a place to go in our hour of need, i dont begrudge the Ukrainians its not of there own making and its mostly women and children your mate needs to have a look at himself and his morals when the first thing he thinks about is money rather than people. But this is what this country is coming to posh latte drinking audi/bmw driving clowns with their noses in the air... half of em never known a days hardship only been handed everything.

The thing that does annoy me is the sudden influx of houses the government could make available these should be used all along for our own homeless or people that need housing considering we are in the middle of a housing crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Field east

I find it very disappointing, to put it very mildly, that we as a nation, are not prepared to put ourselves out ONE JOT in relation to helping out with providing accommodation for Uk refugees. These refugees , in the main , have come through the most horific of experiences - especially children / teenagers. Imagine having to leave your comfortable home, your neighbours and friends, your familiar and established environment, your husband/ brother / father/uncle, etc,Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc in a matter of hours with your ‘TWO PLASTIC’ bags or equivalent and going Into a totally unknown situation, eg Ireland.

I hope that The Irish population never has to suffer the same fate.

on an international scale we are supposed to score very high re volunteering/ helping your neighbour etc - but only if we are not put out in any way!

If only on a human level we should be prepared to take A LITTLE BIT of the pain being experienced by these refugees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭horse7

Only difference is that we are not treating them as refugees, they are being afforded all social welfare entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

Refugee's don't really bother me, I lived in Shannon from around 1983 until 1995 I've seen a lot of people seek refuge, from the huge influx from north during the troubles to Libyans and Chileans

Ironically limerick city people used to call Shannon little Belfast, Northern accents were more prevalent than local accents.

A few more new town's like Shannon around the country could be a good idea.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We already have a thread on accommodation in the context of this war which is covering the same points

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement