Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An odd turn of the rights table (surrogacy)

• 21-04-2022 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭

I came across an RTE article about surrogacy.

My own thoughts are two-fold. Firstly, the apparent arrogance of one senator toward another, suggesting that she should "check her Christian values". That's another days conversation, but the affected senator was making a very valid point, regardless of where it was coming from.

Secondly and in the larger section of the article, attention was drawn to the lack of rights afforded to the (non-biological) mothers of the children. The complaints are mainly that the mothers have to rely on the father of the child to do anything legal with/for the child, such as medical or educational stuff. The father also has to sign for the childs passport, as the mother has no legal right to. It made me think that this is legally the very same situation unmarried fathers have with regards to their children even though they are the biological father. The irony is ripe in this one.

Stay Free

Advertisement