Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinetic-One wheels advice

Options
  • 21-04-2022 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

Hi ... just wondering if any of ye have any advice on these wheels.... I was looking at the following wheels on link below.

They are supposed to be opening in Ireland soon apparently.

My budget is around 500 for a decent strong wheelset... I cycle in wet quite steep desents and roads around me are quite bad which makes me feel aluminium might be what I need. Also I have rim brakes...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I've no idea about that wheelset but buying/building a strong wheel isn't difficult; as long a you choose a sensible rim and build pattern.

Those wheels with the deep rims and reinforcement and sensible spoke count certainly look really strong.

At that price I'd like to be able to service and eventually rebuild in time, so see how easy and cheap is it to get replacement bearings, nipples, spokes and eventually a rim before you buy. I'd email seller.

I ride really poor quality roads with the hplus son archtype rims and also DT swiss db420 which aren't as strong as your rim or as deep(which improves bracing angle by shortening spoke length probably the most important aspect of your wheels) without an issue over the last 6 or 7 years.

For that money you could get wheels made also with easy replacement parts as a design principle. The internet is full of cyclists asking how to rebuild there nice fancy wheels where it is explained to them that they have bought a disposable product and it isn't economically viable. Don't fall into that trap by buy buying a repairable wheelset or cheap wheels

Thats the hplus son cross section

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Thank you very much for your advice ....I will email seller and ask the questions you have raised ....

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I bought a set of these from them at start of COVID. Really happy with them

When ordering they let you select different hubs etc at price increments.

Really happy with them (I'm a hefty chap and have had no issues in that regard)

Guy is really helpful and knowledgeable , wouldn't order without chatting him by email or text. He'll direct you to best option for you and build them accordingly.

He's also pretty spot on with his build time estimates , if he gives you a date he'll stick to it.

Couple of buddies bought various sets from him, alu and carbon , all really happy

That's great thank you very much for your time on that ...

I'm sitting on fence and that might have knocked me over edge....

I'm not even starting the weight fight when it comes to cycling , I'd rather buy something that roles really well and hard wearing... im 46 and if I need to lose a bit of weight there's a bit around my belly to lose 🙃

I was in discussion with Andy and I asked him if there was cycle to work scheme and he said not yet but said he would take 20 euros off special offer price to compensate .... but yeh seems like a genuine top bloke

I didn't end up buying them wheels as last min saw a 2nd hand carbon pair going for a song .....

But over 2 years later looks like I'm going to bite the bullet and get a pair for my gravel bike ...

Anybody get a pair in the past 2 years since I posted this

• Advertisement
Advertisement