Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting video files - data usage

Options
  • 22-04-2022 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

would converting e.g. mkv to mp4 use up data usage on a mobile data plan?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Where are you converting them? Are you really trying to convert video on a remote server over a mobile connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

no no just using free software on my laptop? and yeah it would be using mobile data connection. i have limited allowance so wouldnt bother converting files if its heavy on the data usage

once you're not using a web / browser based piece of software it won't use any data

if it is web-based then it will use data both uploading the original and downloading the converted file

use software that is locally installed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What does converting the files have to do with the mobile data usage? Surely the only data usage comes when the original file is downloaded locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Disconnect from the internet. Then try to convert. If it still works, then you aren't using mobile data.

• Advertisement

outstanding, thanks very much all! no doubt a silly question in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

mp4 and mkv are just containers anyway. "Converting" (it's remuxing strictly speaking) an mp4 file to mkv won't affect the size in any significant way, so a bit pointless really whether you're doing it locally or on a web based "conversion" site.

Its for playback on a tv via usb. I googled alternative means but nothing easy seemed to present itself. Anyone know a way? I assume codecs would be involved

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Downloading video transcoding software like Handbrake will require some data to obtain the installer but not when it’s running.

Handbrake has lots of profiles to convert video to your desired platforms. The default is 1080p30 mp4.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That depends entirely on the source codec, output codec, and your settings. Not "pointless" at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go to YouTube setting, s set video quality to 720p . Don't watch any videos in 1080p or higher, if you look in chrome settings there's a data saver option. I have never gone over my data limit, i thinks its about 300gig per month depends on your mobile provider. You can switch off images in browser settings, but that won't save much data. I used to go to go to a cafe and use WiFi, free, now I just buy 20 euro data credit i don't know if library's are open now

people used to go to a library use free WiFi before the pandemic before 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I go to some websites that download YouTube video in 720p mode just so I can Watch them later copy em to an sdcard

Advertisement