Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All day sickness

Options
  • 22-04-2022 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Im in the early stages of my first pregnancy and I'm really struggling with all day nausea, I haven't physically thrown up but I constantly feel like I will all day every day.

Due to this I'm finding work tough, I've a decent commute and I can suffer motion sickness at the best of times, I then spend my days, miserable at my desk, afraid to sometimes enter conversation for fear of throwing up. My appetite is non existent so I'm really forcing myself to eat which is difficult too.

My work don't know I'm pregnant, I'm just gone 7 weeks and ideally didn't want to tell anyone until I'm over 12 weeks but feel like I might be left with no option.

I'm sure my situation isn't unique but any advice from others who've been in similar situations would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Hi there - my wife has the same problem with pregnancy no 2 and was prescribed Cariban for the nausea and sickness. Its unlicensed so be prepared for serious cost (about 55e for a weeks supply) but it works wonders. Hope all goes well for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes, it sounds totally normal.If it helps, it will hopefully lift between 12 and 16 weeks.

Eat little and often.Try not to get too hungry, because that actually makes the nausea so much worse.I found avoiding fatty foods helped, and sticking to fairly plain things, but you can experiment to see what works.Keep crackers or something similar at your desk to nibble on.Ginger biscuits can help weirdly!

You can speak to your doctor if it really debilitating for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kevav11

Hey I'm 7 weeks too and the nausea is kicking my ass. It's my first pregnancy and I found out around week 4 that I was pregnant. I've had the nausea since week 5 but right now it just doesn't stop. Supposedly it's a good sign as it means pregnancy hormones are strong but it really makes you feel miserable. I've found gingernut biscuits help me and carbs like spaghetti, rice and crackers. I think the thing is to eat little and often and stay away from strong flavours. For some strange reason my body wants thin sliced chicken and coleslaw sandwiches right now and it doesn't hurt my tummy. I also can't tolerate taking my preg vits, only the folic acid. I cut out caffeine too and just drinking water with a slice of lemon and apple juice. You just have to see what works for you but it definitely seems one of the nasty sides of pregnancy. I do feel guilty if I'm getting enough vits etc for baby but everything I read online is to just eat what your tummy can tolerate and it should pass by second trimester - here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Thanks for all the advice, eating little and often definitely seems to helping.

I can stomach a banana and crackers most of which will hopefully see me through.

best of luck with all your pregnancies😀

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

If prescribed Cariban, make sure to shop around as some pharmacies are cheaper than others.

Hope you're feeling better soon. It really is so, so tough. I'm currently 26 weeks and still suffer most days, although it has eased quite a lot since week 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Thank you, I was prescribed Cariban on Thursday, so I'm on my second day of it.

I paid €58 for one weeks supply so will certainty shop around when buying it again.

Sorry to hear you're still having a hard time, it's not something you really consider or think of before you actually experience it, it really is so tough. Hope you keep on improving over the next few weeks

Advertisement