Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dormouse hibernating in shed

• 23-04-2022 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

He was hibernating in my lawnmower when I seen him. I put him in a nice cozy shoe box. I tore a hole in the side of it for when he wakes up and can get out. He has a little whistle sound when he breathes. He hasn't woke up yet. Cute fecker. Hope he makes it through.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Where are you based? Dormice aren't native to Ireland, it's worth reporting that to the national biodiversity data centre.

They were originally found in Kildare about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭emo72

Kildare near the curragh. Yeah, they are centered around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Feed your head

Brilliant vocal version about our little friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Any update/movement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ah, a nice British invader. 😊

Hard to believe they never arrived here until recently.

No updates. Still snoring. I'll leave him alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

They arrived from France on hay imports.

I have good numbers of them around me, they’re very cute but won’t hesitate to bite if threatened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Song for your wee friend there and the gentle people of this forum

https://youtu.be/KeETmqXUzF8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,532 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I was about to point out that he should check his/her/thems biological calender, but the long hibernation is a feature of their lives:

One of the most notable characteristics of those dormice that live in temperate zones is hibernation. They can hibernate six months out of the year, or even longer if the weather does not become warm enough, sometimes waking for brief periods to eat food they had previously stored nearby. During the summer, they accumulate fat in their bodies to nourish them through the hibernation period.[6]

I was thinking of leaving some seeds in the box in case he wakes up. Anyone hazard a guess to what type of seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,028 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There's a range of foods specifically for pet mice available in pet stores but if you just wanted something quickly, perhaps you might have some nuts in the house, walnut, almonds etc, even bird seeds would do.

Fair play for looking Him/Her 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭10-10-20

"As a granivore, the Hazel dormouse particularly enjoys eating hazelnuts. However, this rodent feeds upon a wide variety of food such as fruits, nuts, eggs of birds, fledglings as well as occasional insects and pollen."

A "granivore" - now that's one I'd never heard of before. Adequately describes my sister. 😂

Update. Checked on Friday and he was gone. Farewell sweet prince, I hope you have a good summer.

Advertisement