Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying granite in mortar

Options
  • 25-04-2022 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm doing a garden renovation at the moment. There is a section currently with some old quartz stone on it. In bad condition and constantly spraying for weeds etc. Lots of dirt and debris in it, some tree bark and pine needles and all sorts of organics that just dont come up when you rake it.

I was looking to lay granite there and got quotes from some business that specialize. I expected them to quote to take up the quartz and underlay but they all seem to think its ok to lay it on top of the old stuff with mortar. I asked for mortar to stop the weeds. Is this the norm? Is it going to cause issues down the line not to remove the old stone, cracks and sinking is my worry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭NewClareman

It's a difficult question to answer, without seeing it. If it were me my main concern would be the stability of the existing quartz stone. If it were stable I don't see why it couldn't be used as a base.

I would be more concerned about the business laying the granite. If they are reputable, with solid references, I'd trust their judgement. Ideally I'd want to see jobs they had done a while ago, to see how they stood up to time.

Advertisement