Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on RJ45 home upgrade

Options
  • 25-04-2022 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Afternoon folks.

I recently got vodafone FTTH installed in the home (hallway) and all going great so far. The house was built in 2005 approx and wired throughout for a standard eircom line which is disconnected.

If I want to upgrade the house and put broadband connections in each room where the current eircom connection is can I use the existing cable and change the connections or would I need to run rj45 cable in its place and change connections in same?

thanks

any advice appreciated and if anyone can recommend where I can get the cable if needed then brilliant. Based in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

For start you will have to inspect how it was wired, then...it depends

Phone requires only 1 pair out of 4 pairs in CAT cable. Electricians could have "looped" phone points - from main socket link to room1, from room1 to room2, etc.

This will not work for Ethernet*

*There is way to get it working but it might be somewhat "ugly" - you will have to install switch in room1 to provide propepr link to room2, then another switch in room2 to extend network to room3, etc

This after you have, cable tail lenght allowing, split "loop" and install RJ45 on each end of wire in every room

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I know it's a silly question probably. But why not save a world of pain and install a wi-fi mesh system?

You'll get the speed you need without all the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Smuggler's post is spot on but it would also depend on whether they used CAT cabling to do the phone lines in the first place. Often they do in more recent years but its also possible they only used bog standard telephone wire in which case you are probably out of luck (unless it can be used as a draw string to pull CAT cable).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What cable is behind each telephone socket, plain old telephone cable or ethernet cable? Take off the faceplates and check. Take a pic and post here if not sure.

As smuggler posts, it'll depend on how it was wired, looped from socket to socket as was recommended by reci in the past or star layout with all cables going back to a central point from each socket. Two cables at the telephone sockets would probably indicate a looped install.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Even using the old phone wire to draw CAT cable won't work as the cable runs, definintely on ground floor will run through joists and follow odd routes and at least some of the time will be fouled by lumps of plaster that you just won't be able to fish a new cable past. At least not without breaking out a few holes in ceileings here and there to help fish the cable through.

Upstairs will be far easier as you can fish cables down through the conduits via the attic space.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

ill try take a photo and upload it later folks. Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement