Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Indemnity for Baristers

• 25-04-2022 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi! I am trying to find out if a barrister who acted unprofessionally for me has professional indemnity insurance? And if yes. I intend to claim against this insurance in order to recover the money I handed over to this barrister. I don't have a clue where to start and The Law Society of Ireland have not been helpful. Any advice will be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭HorseSea

Don't think that's how it works, you need to take on the Barrister, if he has insurance that's well and good, if not it does not change your case.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

When professionals take out indemnity insurance it is to cover them against you winning a case you take against them for professional incompetence. You can’t make a claim against the insurance company, only they can make a claim if they have to make a pay out to you.

The Law Society does not handle complaints about solicitors or barristers, the Legal Services Regulatory Authority does as I’m sure they will have told you. Please see their website (https://www.lsra.ie/) for information on how to make a complaint.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Closing thread as has been answered and relevant to this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement