Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katie Taylor v. Amanda Serrano

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

The Aviva is the place for this, stands closer to the pitch, not a bad seat in the house, smaller capacity whilst still being a stadium fight.

This would attract a big crowd if marketed correctly, and provided a different date was chosen for it. No place better than Ireland to sell out these kinda events, didn't 500k people go to see f*cking Garth Brooks.

I agree with Walshb, I reckon between band wagon jumpers, hipsters, event junkies and a smattering of hardcore boxing fans, people would lap this up. Hearn can promote pretty well too despite what people say about him. And a stadium with a smaller capacity makes sense.

Put Irish fighters on the undercard too, round up all our prospects/"names", Conlan, Quigley, Spike, Ward, Cully, the McKenna's, Jono Carroll, Paddy Donovan etc.. Invest in a solid undercard and market it as a night of irish boxing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Serrano injury is a delay tactic, as well as Serrano needing adequate recovery from that tough tough fight from a couple weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Are hipsters big boxing fans?

I wa actually rooting for a ticket for this, and I go to fook all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

It'll always be Landsdowne to me!

Yes, agreed it would be the best venue for this. Much more comfortable and compact than Croker.

Serrano was always going to have some type of injury coming off the last fight so it stands to sense to delay it for a month or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

RTE still using the ‘homecoming’ tag at every mention of this ( non) event.

As the lad said Pat will be stirred by anything like a ‘ homecoming’ wont realise he/she is being gamed.

Every half dead grifter in the music business has had six or seven ‘final world tours’ to packed crows in Dublin, so why should boxing be any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

And with good reason, it's a temporary naming rights deal that Aviva have with it.

They renewed it for 7 years in 2018, so it's up again in 2 years time and the highest bidder (possibly Aviva again) will have their name attached to it.

When Dundalk played there in the Champions League qualifier Vs Legia Warsaw in 2016, the sponsorship name was prevented from being used (UEFA rules), so they actually called it the "Dublin Arena" that night, which may technically be the actual name.

However it is indeed truly Landsdowne rd, just as that other Arena is really The Point.

I thought Aviva would never catch-on for me, but “at the Aviva” seems so natural now. I don’t think Landsdowne any more

Looks like RTE are not going to let this ‘homecoming’ and Croke Park die.

All over MI this morning, one would wonder why?

It seems only the REDTOPS and RTE have any interest in this ‘homecoming’.

Someone behind the scenes is pulling a lot of strings, it would appear.

Hmm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭reclose

can you see any action at all?

Looks like Taylor vs Cameron is being announced tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Massive respect to Katie for taking that fight **** hell. Could've easily got away with a soft touch. Cameron a more difficult fight than Serrano imo.

"Anyone, anytime, any place" is a gimmick for most fighters - not for Katie.

Most other fighters would take a gimme fight and wait for the Serrano rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Fair play to Taylor, but go on Chantelle! Great news for her, deserves her chance, obviously tough going in to Taylor's back yard and should be a great fight but hopefully Cameron can do it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Cameron very good, but I’ll have to go with Katie’s hand and foot speed to win 7-3 or 6-4 type score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Age is against Taylor at this stage. She is 37 in July this year. Cameron is five years younger. It might not be Cameron but Taylor will be defeated within 12-18 months

Slava Ukrainii

Yes. She is getting on, but still her best pro performance was her victory in her fight against Amanda. I know this was a year ago, but she really looked great everywhere

Hmmm looks like a ‘homecoming’ ( watch the use of that word folks) fight coming up on May 20.

RTE already bigging it up…..Hearne too…. Watch for for the hints of a Croker bout later.

Lot of emotion here…… 😥😥

Im getting all emotional mesell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

What’s the issue? Half of every promotion in the last 30 years has had some made up angle to sell it. Hardly anything to get annoyed about now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Might try and get myself a ticket to cheer Chantelle on. Should be a good night.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

You are correct….I’m not getting annoyed… just merely pointing out who these things are ‘bigged up’

Thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Any idea when tickets will go on sale for this??

RTE plugging this so called ‘homecoming’ with everything they have got.

Making sure not to rule out Croker in the future.

Wonder who is pulling the strings on all this out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I love KT but not a fan whatsoever of that slimey promoter Hearne who is involved with her lately - she should get rid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

it would be wonderful if Katie did a free open air boxing match in Phoenix park as a thank you to Ireland and also to allow everyone express their gratitude and support for her.

it needs to be broadcast on RTÉ (free to air) to allow everyone a chance to see it including those in schools, nursing homes and hospitals etc.

Hearn has been her promoter for her whole pro career.

Yes, time for the 36 year old (on her last few fights) Taylor to bin that Hearn lad. He's been nothing but trouble for her her whole career!!! She's been rightly screwed over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

one of the most hilarious posts I’ve read on here

Advertisement