Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What, in terms of previous litigation. gives you the impression that RTE gets these things right?

It could of course alternatively be the best thing to happen to MLMD's case if this is what it is about. (Which we don't know either.) RTE messing up again.

I notice she had a lengthy interview today on RTE which kinda makes those saying she was denying herself access, look a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

You're thinking of someone else.

I supported MB's right. It was the details that were hilarious.

Everybody has the right. I've never denied the right. You are peddling a lie and avoiding my comment's content. You asked for examples and you got them.

People are attacking MLMD for trying to defend herself. She is the alledged victim here. But you ignore that and turn it on her because she represents the most popular party North and South of your border.

I don't support her claim. I don't know the details. I support her right to claim without being attacked by the likes of yourself.

Can you tell me about the agenda you claim I have?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If the interview linked her to the treatment of Mairia Cahill, which happened relatively recently when MLMD was in positions of power within SF, do you believe that was defamation of MLMD? Was the campaign against Mairia Cahill by SF justified?

Sf are not taking this case,it being a personal one

The justification or otherwise of sf behaviour as regards this,is not relevent surely?

Unless of course,its not this case your wanting a "discussion" on,prefering a broadsided exchange of specualtion on treatment of cahill?

Is MLMD not the leader of SF or are you implying someone else called the shots?

The case appears to be about comments made towards MLMD related to her treatment of Mairia Cahill, there doesn't seem to be a case for RTE to answer as MLMD was a big part of the harassing of Mairia Cahill whether as herself or as leader of SF (or deputy previously).

• Advertisement

She is indeed as far i know,the leader

,your going to have to highlight any phrases in that post,which lead you to believe im implying she isnt calling shots?....unless of course,your unable to discuss and wish to engage in retarded baiting instead😊

So why the need to raise issue and qs justification or otherwise of treatment by a party not involved in the vase,reads like poor baiting otherwise

That would be akin to linking Leo to the recent bullying in FG. Nobody would do it because he wasn't involved.

SF repudiate claims of mis-treatment of Cahill and produced evidence that members helped her BTW.

The 'If my auntie had balls' legal premise...hmmmm.

MLMD has a right to claim she was defamed. The legal process will decide. We can discuss our opinions when we've the details.

I am commenting on people, obviously yourself included, doing hand stands to try excuse attacking the alleged victim before even knowing the case details.

As leader her treatment and defamation case involving Mairia Cahill and the abuse she suffered at the hands of members of her party puts her directly in the firing line as leader of that party, particularly as some of those members are still in and serving in the party. You seem to imply that it is nothing to do with SF or that as leader, MLMD shouldn't take responsibility (as echoed by Francie as well).

Good to know that you don't hold leaders to account in these situations, others do.

That's not what Mairia Cahill has been saying, she was left "disturbed" after the meeting with MLMD.

If the limit of your discussion abilities are "there is nothing to discuss" then why are you on a discussion forum? It's highly likely that the defamation case is linked to MLMD's treatment of Mairia Cahill and comments made about it.

It looks like the three amigos are all singing from the same hymn sheet at least "nothing to see hear, nothing to discuss, please move on".

It'd be pretty hilarious except it's happening in a thread about shutting down media discussion by the party they all slavishly follow and invade any thread that slightly mentions SF in any way (usually to try and stop discussion...).

Mairia has made allegations which SF refuted and produced evidence(actual evidence) that shows they did try to help.

Now you are entitled to your beliefs but that is the status.

So RTE will not be able to say these allegations are proven, therefore accusatory comments are defamatory. RTE will have to prove the allegations to win.

If that is what the case is about.

Those who convict on foot of an allegation will have to temper their tongues in public and rightly so IMO

• Advertisement

OK, so presuming it was the Mairia Cahill comments (they were about not sharing a stage with certain people), how is that defamation if the people involved are still in SF?

Do you believe that SF have acted correctly in the case of Mairia Cahill? I don't, there seems to have been a lot of cover up and keeping certain members "safe" vs. doing the right thing and cooperating fully over it. While this hangs over MLMD and SF it's unseemly to pretend they are championing women's rights as it holds false. And I can understand that things happened in the past and the politics can mean that certain people won't admit to things that happened a long time ago even if everyone believes otherwise, however, this treatment is in the near past when those in charge today were in positions of power and could do something about it and didn't, they still could.

RTE (and the BBC) obviously feel the same way and happy to fight the cases based on the facts. MLMD skipping the official complaint channels is also a bit unseemly as it implies she wants to keep what she's been responsible for off the airwaves.

On top of that, this has been a pattern, sue to prevent certain topics, deleting news articles, that is not the sign of a party that is at ease with people talking about it.

And then you must understand that this thread has been 30+ pages of SF supporters continually saying "nothing to talk about", you realise this is the first post where you have conceded what the case is about, why go to all this trouble for 30+ pages of posting "stop talking about it". And why is it specifically SF supporters doing this? I don't see FG, Lab, FF etc. supporters doing the same thing. They might not discuss whatever the topic is, but they don't actively post to say nothing. I dare say that had the SF supporters not kept replying to say "stop talking" that this thread would be on page 2+ of the forum right now rather than right on top on a weekend when SF should be celebrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

We'll have to await the detailss astro. I was just pulling you up on the presumptions you made. Presumptions you cannot voice in public.

Nothing Mairia Cahill has alleged has been proven.

Anonymous people on the internet disagree with you, it must be a conspiracy :)

You are free to drag shergar into the discussion if you like, I'll not be interested. I'll also not be bothered discussing your theories, but you are of course free to do so.

Criticising the alleged victim in a case before we know the case details is not a discussion I'm interested in. If it wasn't a shinner, neither would you.

What can't be voiced in public and why?

Are SF and SF members going to sue every media platform that Mairia Cahill speaks on? Are you alleging that Mairia Cahill is lying?

Interesting to see you still posting on the thread if that's the case. Yet another "I don't want to talk about it response".

I was as vocal about MB suing and her idiocy, when politicians are idiots, I'll point it out, I don't have a team I'm going to bat for.

Its a discussion forum. I'm not looking to discuss theory regarding a case when we don't have the details. All I've done thus far is point out the lengths some people will go to to attack the alledged victim before we know the details of the case.

I've not defended MLMD on the merits of this case, but I keep getting claims that I am.

I cannot allege that somebody did something on foot of an allegation made. It's that simple.

You cannot even do it here on this forum where there are anonymous accounts....unless you come from a select group that is. Only some figures are protected.

But you certainly cannot do it in public and not expect to be sued. If the case is about what you claim, then RTE will have to prove the allegations (If the court even allows them to try) which will require evidence NOT allegation and hearsay.

Discussion forums are for discussing not telling others what not to discuss (or is this another dictionary battle going on). Your only contribution to the thread is to try and spoil discussion. Is someone pressuring you not to discuss like seems to be happening to Francie?

What exactly are you saying can't be said in public? You don't need to go defining things and you seem a bit concerned about saying the wrong thing, is someone suppressing your speech? Are you being sued? What court wouldn't allow someone to defend themselves in a defamation case? And again, why would MLMD skip the media processes for resolving these matters first? What does she have to gain from a lengthy drawn out case that will cost tax payers money, win or lose.

Who do you think you are exactly? MLMD is not answerable to you or me as a private citizen.

Her own personal live is her own concern. She isn't bound by what you think is the correct course of action, stop being silly.

Why are you asking random internet people to explain her motivations? Email her if you are that concerned.

More twisting. Never said you cannot discuss anything.

Oh dear, off on a conspiracy rant.

Talk about whatever you like. I'm critical of people attacking the alledged victim in a case, where we don't know the details. I've said this repeatedly. People are creating things designed to put MLMD in a bad light on par with Putin, OJ and FG. Its a bit much. Its RTE once again possibly gambling with tax payer money.

• Advertisement

We can comment on MLMD and why she is engaging in a SLAPPS as much as we want, you seem to be implying that we can't and now that you've admitted that it is likely to be down to what Mairia Cahill said about sharing a stage with certain people, still can't explain what reasonable person would go down the lawsuit route when there are quicker and faster remedies available, again something we can speculate about freely.

I'll keep pointing out that your only replies are to tell others not to discuss anything. Nobody is creating anything, all the evidence is in the public domain (and is unlikely to be deleted...).

Nobody is stopping you speculating...work away.

I was just pulling you up on the presumptions you made. Presumptions you cannot voice in public.

Thanks for the permission Francie!

It will be interesting afer the north election dies down, where the next SLAPPS will come from and also how long it will take for this case to progress.

I'm sure the court here will be quick to reach a decision on no facts. Very efficient they be.

I'll keep pointing out that your only replies are to tell others not to discuss anything. Nobody is creating anything, all the evidence is in the public domain (and is unlikely to be deleted...).

Stop lying. I've not told anyone they can't or shouldn't talk about it.

Link to the official evidence please?

Comparing MLMD to Putin, O.J. Simpson and members of Fine Gael for allegedly trying to legally defend herself is, IMO, people creating.

Maybe give fair play to the alleged victim and stop playing one?

Obvious bias revealed, not that it needed revealing. You've a hate on for all things SF, which is fine. Just don't expect your biased ramblings about a case we know little to nothing about to be taken as anything other than a biased attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Nope, it was you alright. Knee deep in it.

Now here you are doing a complete 180 on it. All because MLMD follows a different party.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Nothing Mairia Cahill has alleged has been proven.

We are in the 'Gerry Adams was never in the IRA' twilight zone now.

As always, Francie you want to treat everything like a court of law when it comes to your beloved SF, but go all conspiracy quack when it comes to anyone and anything else.

No good to a judge or a jury mark. If allegation was enough Gerry would have been in jail, would he not?

Think before you jump in with the size 9's. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

"We can comment on MLMD and why she is engaging in SLAPPS as much as we want "- of course you can. It's still over the fence gossip considering we have no details, so lets just recognise what you are saying, for what it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement