Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wedding Speeches

• 26-04-2022 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what people think is the best time to do it before or after the meal ?

It'll just be the Best man & Groom speaking so it won't be a long drawn out either way ,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Do it after the meal imo. When you are starving and just want your dinner no one wants to hear speeches no matter how short/not long drawn out they are. After food I am in much better form to give my full attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

At most events I am at (I do MC for a few sport clubs), the key speeches are during the desert.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

After the main course, or after the starter if it’s substantial. But for the love of god, make sure people have enough to drink! Servers don’t tend to pour wine during speeches, and at the last wedding I was at, the one paltry glass of wine in front of me did not last long, especially given the speeches ran on for about an hour. Your guests aren’t going to be able to go to the bar or the loo easily, so whenever they happen, ensure your guests aren’t starving or running out of wine & water.

Honestly, if I could get rid of one thing from weddings, it would be speeches that go on for more than 5 minutes per person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just email the speech to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,860 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I was planning for after the meal and i think ill stick to it,

They'll be short just myself saying a thanks for coming and a few nice words about the missus & her ma. and then the best man for 5 to 10 minutes,

I'm forever scared from a wedding where the bride spoke for well over 30 minutes, close to 45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Check with your venue, I've heard that some are strict about when speeches are given so that it doesn't interrupt serving the food.

If the speeches are short, doing them after orders are taken and before food comes out is fine. You don't want people sitting there starving, but likewise people giving the speeches can be nervous and might not be able to enjoy their meal until they have the speeches over with.

Personally I don't like speeches during dessert. Dessert is the best part, let me enjoy it in peace 😂

Advertisement