Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a dependent?

Options
  • 26-04-2022 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I know this is a stupid question but I can’t find any answers! My friend had a baby with a chap and they broke up.

He visits the son infrequently and lives a few counties away and pays child maintenance (about €40 a week and skips weeks randomly). My friend works part time and is trying to sort her taxes - can the father claim the son as a dependent though they don’t live together? Also, if he does claim the son, will that affect my friend’s social welfare benefits at all?

again, sorry if this is stupid, I’d appreciate any insight. She’s super worried that he’s trying to do her out of money even though she has the child all the time.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Your friend can claim the single parent tax credit. He could only get it if she agreed to give it to him. She would have actually needed to sign the form (SPCCC) to do that. She needs to create a revenue online account and claim that tax credit.

Is she working 20 hours a week? Is she claiming WFP as well as OPF?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tylingsi

Thanks so much. That makes sense. She works either 15 or 20 hours a week max, can’t remember offhand I’m afraid. I gave her the link and told her to claim the credit on her account so that should sort it. Thank you 🙏

Advertisement