Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future teaching standards in the bin

Options
  • 26-04-2022 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Before I get into this, let me begin by stating that this post is in no way aiming to "bash" the teaching profession and/or college students. I am a college student myself hoping to be a NQT in a couple of years time. I like to think that I have much more respect for the profession than most people. However, that being said, I am highly concerned about the standards of educators coming out of our colleges.

For context, I am currently enrolled in a major third-level institution on a "concurrent" degree program. For those who don't know, this means that we study two arts subjects as well as education modules such as philosophy, teaching methods, etc. In other words, everyone enrolled on the course is aiming to be a second-level teacher, and will be immediately qualified to register as one upon graduation of this 4 year course.

Absolutely nothing could have prepared me for how careless and lazy some people are on this course. Before I make generalizations, maybe 20-30% of the cohort are hard-working and will undoubtedly make great teachers. However, the remainder would make you seriously worry for our education system's future. For one of my arts subject, there is supposed to be over 50 students at every lecture. This semester, we only have two lectures per week in that subject, and yet an attendance of 15 would be considered a lot. I have sat in lecture halls with 4 or 5 students on a normal day and nobody bats an eyelid. They are not recorded or livestreamed, so if you miss the lecture you have to rely on the notes posted online or taken from someone who did attend.

I am not suggesting that attendance at college lectures makes a good teacher, that is obviously not the case. However, what concerns me is the general attitude of some students. Most clearly do not enjoy one or both of their arts subjects, and constantly complain about courses, modules, lecturers, assignments, and literally any tiny bit of work that they feel inconvenienced to complete. I was met with complete shock when I told a group of my peers that I actually enjoy studying my arts subjects and the idea of becoming a teacher. I hate being occupied with what other people are doing, but it is starting to bother me how much some people take this opportunity to be educated for granted. Some of the lecturers clearly silently hold the same view as myself as they get agitated at completely unreasonable requests from some students who clearly aren't bothered to do a bit of work.

I cam sorry for ranting, but I could go on for hours about how little some of these people care. I don't ever go beyond what is required of me in education, and my problem isn't with the fact that they don't study or whatever. My problem is that they do not care if they are good at their subjects or not, or if they understand how important the profession is. We are only young and are never going to be perfect students (the craic is obviously a huge part of the college experience) but why would you bother spending thousands a year to inevitably be absolutely shite at your job and never inspire any students to do anything with their lives?

I won't name the institution over a slight fear of consequences, but honestly I'd be half tempted to because they let people get away with it by their ridiculous methods of assessment. For example, we've had 3 modules assessed by making a poster containing everything you've learned on the module which you could just copy and paste from your notes. They do this to maintain their low dropout rate, which I admit is admirable but the lengths they go to are a bit extreme because it lets students into a really deep sense of security ("they'll never fail us") and drives this culture of making absolutely zero effort to further your own learning.

Sorry again for the rant, but this has been brewing in my mind for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

You've pretty much described every college course in the country there, with the possible exception of medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

1. That's college students everywhere.
    2. We know what a concurrent teaching degree is. This is a Teaching forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thiagos

Nobodys cares man, you have given an accurate description of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

They'll fit right in...good teachers are like hen's teeth now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

That sounds like every course ever.

People aren't perfect, but they will learn.

Besides, there's only so much a degree can teach you about teach.

It's mostly about experience and attitude.

I work as an SNA and I've seen good teachers and excellent teachers.

Haven't seen a bad one yet.

Post edited by The One Doctor on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

I don't know if that's every course. We didn't have it easy on our PGDE, there were a lot of moaners but I think it gave everybody food for thought. Similarly I've taught on a PME course and the standard of assignments weren't easy. Similarly the range of student submissions ranged from poor to excellent with bulk in the 2.2 /2.1 bell curve.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Don't speak for everyone. I did computer science in college and almost nobody had a bad attitude.

The very few (<10%) that didn't care all dropped out after first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Your college course is only your toolbox kid! It's how you use your tools. If you think your coming out of a concurrent course the finished article...... Think again. Enjoy your career, if you think standards are bad now, wait until they reform the leaving cert😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Never said I was speaking for everyone. But I believe the OP's description is representative of the majority of courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ddoolan03

Oh don't get me wrong, I am under no illusions that I will ever be a perfect or even great teacher. But surely you need to have a good attitude to stand any chance of being the best you can be at anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There were two girls on my course more than 20 years ago who attended 5 lectures for the entire third year (of a four year degree). They attended the minimum amount of labs that would prevent them from failing the modules (science degree). They partied their way through the year. They passed all their exams. Some people don't attend much college and do enough to pass. Some people don't attend but are studying away privately. Some people care about doing the job properly when they leave, some don't give a toss. No point in worrying about them.

Also, not everyone wants to be the best at what they do, plenty will skive their way through life no matter what the job, and some just want to turn up, do the job, go home and get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

The Poster who started this thread is a very conscientious person and will no douubt strive to be the best teacher that they can be.Unfortunately this sh1t ,that is detailed in the post,happens.I remember college days and ,as other contributors have pointed out,some students did sweet f.a. ...and got away with it in the sense that they passed the course and some of them probably got jobs and rang in sick 1 day every week ......and got away with that too!

I 've seen the present system and the teacher that is there for the students ,hail .rain or snow,is taken for granted most of the time.....but you know what this type of teacher is getting scarcer and scarcer as people leave the system or retire.I see it in our place and there is no one to take up the slack....and the fecking governing body is only interested in Golden Circle issues...and of course box-ticking and arse -licking....talk about killing the goose that layed the Golden Egg...but you know what they dont give a fcuk.

Look after your self as no one else will,teaching is becoming very selfish!

I did an arts subject with my teaching degree about 10 years back now. Yes, there was similar people to above, the gaa heads got away with murder, there was always the party animals same as any course. But I don't think that's exclusive to teaching.

But the course was horrendous. Back then, it would have actually put you off teaching. I felt so sorry for the mature students paying a serious wedge for it etc, because the course was easier than the Junior Cert. You could turn up for the bare minimum and pass with a week or two effort before exams. Everything I've learned teaching has come on the job, real teaching was/is the polar opposite to placement. Placements and expectations were all so manufactured, it was so fake. It's got a little better with the longer course and placements I have found in my experience of taking students myself.

Advertisement