Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on what to do with car insurance, moving away for two years

Options
  • 27-04-2022 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am moving to Vancouver this July for a year or two. My insurance is up at the end of May. I called up my insurers yesterday and got a quote that I am happy with (less than 500e). I spoke to them about the fact I am moving away, and they told me that I pay in full and before I go I just need to ring them up and they will refund me the insurance that I don't use.

I have 5 years no claims bonus though, and someone mentioned that I should get myself on another policy as a named driver to keep my NCB. My father would be willing to add me to his insurance, but I am just wondering does anybody know will this be of help to me when I return to Ireland and look for insurance in my own name again?

I have heard horror storys of expats returning and being quoted huge amounts as most companies don't take into acount driving experience in other countries... Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

You will need to keep a policy in your own name in order to keep your NCB.

You could leave your new May policy in force, so if you are home before May 2025 you should still have your full NCB.

Companies usually lapse the NCB after two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

The so-called "horror" stories are people who have lived abroad for many years. It works in reverse too in that Canadian insurers won't take into account your experience here.

But as above, the ncb will be valid for 2 years. They may require confirmation of no claims from Canada and you may have to talk to someone rather than do it online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Thanks. I plan on returning in summer of 2024. I'm thinking I'll renew my policy as normal and then just ring up to cancel in September and let them know I have moved abroad

Advertisement