Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 150th Open, St. Andrews, 2022

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

@TheRiverman Yea I copped that when it was mentioned my mistake I forgot they moved them this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Two of these putts were poor, pulled edgy putts, not rolled the way he had been the last 3 rounds.

In the interview afterwards he mentioned trying to build a solid round, and then not being able to get the birdies when he needed them.

I'm not sure he had his approach right. The quicker he got to -20 the more pressure would have applied to the chasers.

As it was, I think it was a combination of the above and a superb back 9 by Smith that undid his attempt to win his first major in ages....and this will hurt for a long time. Not just because of the great position he was in starting the day, or the fact he probably didn't give it as good a shot as he might have, but because this was in St Andrews where I'm sure he'd love to have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I don’t think anyone can say he choked. He had a fairly good ball striking day, great driving. No missed short putts. He shaved the hole with 4 or 5 putts that could just as easily have dropped and that would have won him the Open imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rory's putting let him down, but some these putts are far from gimmes

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

As I said on another thread, Cam Smith broke Tigers 72 hole record, a record that Rory would have likely tied if he didn't need an eagle on the last.

If you tie Tigers record , or even get within a shot of it, I don't think any criticism is warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

What type of cash did David Carey end up making from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Anyone else notice that there was no silver salver for second place? It's usually handed out between the silver medal for leading amateur and the overall winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Also, every play who made the cut got a bronze medal..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I think they still award it but not as part of the main ceremony. There's a few search results alluding to the fact that they've omitted it (from the TV presentation) in recent years.

Think that's every amateur player to make the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm obviously very disappointed for Rory , picked up a few quid on Cam.

But, is putting poorly when it counts , not a form of "choking" cracking under pressure?

As mentioned above , poor rolls , for a pro...

Cams putting is incredibly on line , just short only at times...

Rory was outside the hole on many important ones during the last round...

Would like to see his 1st putt distances if possible to really nail down where he went 'wrong'

Distance to hole after approach might be a better stat to be looking at rather than the putting stat potentially

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I never imagined I'd say this , but considering the amount of work, effort and achievement involved in that (didn't he go through full qualifying process?)

It isn't actually a great prize...

Agreed - It's a brutal career

Funnily enough, if you had asked 100 people, I'd say majority would've guessed $50k+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

I thought the same. I checked it on Sunday and thought it was on the low side. Would have needed a top 30 for around $100k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

36 putts for Rory Sunday, only one player had more putts Sunday according to stats on another website

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Hindsight is great, but given the position him and Hovland were in going into Sunday I'm sure the plan was, do nothing stupid, hit GIR, catch an odd birdie and once ahead of Hovland he was home and dry.

I think being out with Hovland who did bottle it, didn't help.

Once smith caught fire on the back nine, it was a different game and switching approach with the win slipping away was a nervier task.

I thought Smith might buckle when he hit the front, but the par on the difficult 17th set up the win. Young responded well on 18.

I was surprised Rory didn't manage to drive the 18th to at least have some sort of putt to tie, but I guess that was down to pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Scoring in the early tee times indicated that the pin positions and weather meant lows scores were not just possible, but probable. That would, or certainly should have negated the thought process you outline above. Having seen it, it would be inconceivable that he would go out thinking the odd birdie would be enough. When you look at the finishing scores, there were a lot of low rounds (almost a quarter of the field shot -5 or better), not just the two ahead of Mcilroy, those two had just done enough in the preceding rounds to leapfrog the leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The $33,400 that David Carey picked up in the Open may appear small for the effort but it's a king's ransom compared to what he's making on the Alps Tour. Here's what the tour website says he picked up in prize money so far in 2022 ......

Feb (two tournaments, one cheque) €564

March (three tournaments, one cheque) €371

April (one tournament) €3,250

May (three tournaments, three cheques) €1,909

June (four tournaments, two cheques) €1,445

In 8 seasons on the Alps Tour, his biggest cheque was €5,800 and his total earnings in that period was €46,087. Either he has a rich Daddy or a very generous sponsor.

https://alpstourgolf.com/#/playerprofile/CAR028

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭amlinopta

€46k before expenses when the tournaments are off the beaten track as well. I see he is at the lower end of the Team Ireland grants for 2022, €17,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

Yes but he still would probably earn €50,000 + a year with grants, cheques & small sponsors after expenses. I wouldn't say hes staying in 5 star hotels maybe a camper van.. There was a good programme on the telly a few years ago about lads in his position. Haven't said that he only has to have 1 good performance in a big tournament and hes golfing for a living Id swap with him in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

How do the lads that play amateur full time get by?

There seems to be quite a few of them around Ireland. Even playing the amateur events must cost a nice bit between accomodation, food, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

The Pro in are pro am told me last year when I asked him. They just treat it as their golf like how we play competitions at the weekend. 1st place can be €2500 up to €5000. Think food on the day for them is covered so they have travel + entry which is about €50/€100. around 10/15 events a year plus they dont have to pay membership to a club like us. Most travel up & down same day. Chap I played with was from Galway so had a fair spin just like the lads in the boards society 😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You'd be surprised the amount of amateurs/pros golfing with family money background, anyone that made a killing during the Tiger era have kids now hitting this age group that don't need to work

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement