Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is hedge dying/dead?

Options
  • 27-04-2022 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have this hedge dividing my property with my neighbour, not sure what it is but its there since we moved in around 3 years ago and it was grand. As you can see in the picture (Hedge_1) this is what it normally looks like although a few of the leaves on this part are starting to turn brown. As you can see in pictures (Hedge_2 & Hedge_3) its not as full as it once was compared to the first picture. I suppose this has been gradually happening since sometime last year but is really noticeable now. I have also attached a picture of the leaves to show the discoloration and holes that have formed.

Is the hedge dying/dead and can it be restored if it is some fungus type thing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Does it lose its leaves in winter? I cannot figure out what it is, the leaf looks rather like a sweet chestnut, or there is an oak with a similar leaf that is semi-evergreen.

I don't know what is wrong with it, but at a guess I would say it has been neglected and allowed to grow spindly. From the size of the trunks it is a mature hedge and it may just be outgrown for the site. If it is a sweet chestnut it could be cut hard back and encouraged to grow new shoots. See what others say though, I am not 100% confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Portuguese laurel, Prunus lusitanica?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's lusitanica alright, looks like it could be suffering with canker.

I'd reduce it back to any healthy growth and see if it recovers, if not it's for the skip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

The competing grass growth around the base of the hedge plants will be doing it no good and should be pulled out. Looks also to be a lot of concrete around the area of the hedge so it may not be able to get sufficient water to stay healthy. If you get the grass out and give it a good watering, give it a mulch of some manure or compost and trim it back a bit to encourage new growth it may improve.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I agree. Looks like a new build so doubt the soil was even improved when planting either so removing the grass and some feed would definitely do no harm.

Laurel is quite tough so might come back fine. If the OP scratches the bark with their nail to see if the tissue underneath is still green, that will be a good sign.

• Advertisement
Advertisement