Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need new secondhand family car that is not an SUV or MPV.

• 27-04-2022 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello all,

I have a Ford Mondeo Titanium 2l 08 which didn't start for me a couple of weeks ago, had a mechanic look at it, and turned out it was the fuel injectors.

We sent them away to get looked at and all 4 either need reconditioning, which is 500 + labor and may only last 2 years. Or a set of brand new ones which costs 1000. On top of this, the car needs need new brake discs/pads, timing belt done, NCT overdue, front bushing, water leak around boot somewhere, etc. Tax is also due next month at 600. Has a good few scratches and alloys aren't in great nick, had plenty of nicks and bumps. So it's probably only worth about 2k and difficult to sell at that if it was all fixed up.

Given all that, I was thinking it was time to switch up to another car with a lower tax rate. The Mondeo was perfect for us with 3 little kids, big boot, etc. Turning into teenagers now quite tall.....

My other half doesn't like Toyota or Skoda, nor SUVs so I've been at either another Mondeo, Audi A4, Open Insignia (prob small in back), Volvo S60/S80 with a budget of between 6-9k, don't really care about the year as long as its a fairly decent car that won't give much trouble for the first year or 2.

Any recommendations or advice considering the poor state of the 2nd hand market these days?

Cheers, Mac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I guess by SUV you mean Crossover like the Qashqai etc?

I had a mondeo, 08 as well many year ago. I swapped from it into an A6. The reason was the bigger back seats etc and the extra level of comfort. I was looking at A6/5 series. You could throw Merc into that. But you will be going up the mileage on that

You could try buying or including car warranty above the garage, some garages offer as well with deals.

Outside that I was always a huge fan of the Passat's as a workhorse, along with the mondeo(I had 2). Never had huge issues with them. The Opels I was always warned off them, plus a lot of second hand opels in Ireland when I was buying came from UK and seemed to be high mileage

Just some idea's :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Is it a petrol only that you want or would you consider diesel?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement