Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Elon / Bezos etc chip in to solve the worlds mysteries

• 28-04-2022 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

If all the mega rich chipped in o try and solve the worlds mysteries would this be a good thing?

How the pyramids were built and understand the technology used.

Help find lost civilizations etc

surely this would only be a good thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

No, they should be taxed at a punitively high rate to pay for public services in the countries they hold citizenship of. The world doesn't need billionaires. Everyone of it's citizens, however, needs healthcare, education etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Totally disagree - if you are cute enough to make it then you should be allowed to keep it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think they are two very successful people. Both of them providing 10s of thousands of jobs in multiple countries.

Both were nearly ruined at various points too but were smart enough to get themselves out the other side and continue to innovate.

The world needs people like this. But haters gonna hate I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

if they could find out how they get the figs into the figrolls that would be sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Or if they could figure out the mystery of why Fig Rolls even exist, I'd be happy.

• Advertisement

Two bug-eyed weirdos. Real “small dick energy” off them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you are an employee then your employer also pays PRSI so the actual amount the govt gets from your employment adds up fairly quickly. After €70,044 it's 4% employee PRSI + 11.05% employers PRSI + 8% USC = 23.05%

Any billionaire paying less than 23.05% of their income has an effectively negative tax rate and is being subsidised by people earning as little as €13,001 as that's when USC kicks in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So it's OK to use every trick in the book and then some to avoid paying tax as long as you use some of the savings for good PR, which could be used as a further tax write-off ?

There's a tax dodge where most of the copper exported from Zambia goes to a small village in Switzerland but it's usually resold in transit at a much higher price. So the profits are taxed in Switzerland not Zambia. The mining companies make so little profit there they even qualify for electricity subsidies from the Zambian government.

Donations from Switzerland to Zambia are utterly meaningless until they match the amount of tax that could be collected if the copper exports were at open market prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Jeffrey, Jeffrey Behhhzos. Born in 1964

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Can someone solve the mystery of why Mrs. Browners Boys is a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

"Elons" plans for a mini sub for the Thai cave rescue and his petulant response when told he hadn't a clue what he was talking about suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Not what I said at all.

Once the local tax is paid that is enough by me. Why force people to pay more just because they have it?

Should they pay more for a meal when eating out than everybody else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No, you said “Totally disagree - if you are cute enough to make it then you should be allowed to keep it”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Ive solved this many moons ago, first you roll out the fig roll (key is in the "roll" part of the name), then you get the fig and squish it into the fig roll, and then roll the fig roll - thats how they get the fig into the fig roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

The KFC secret blend of herbs and spices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Elon is the boss, using his money to go out there looking for habitable planets for the survival of the human race, if there was a vote for president of this world then it would be Elon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have a basket containing 126 odd socks belonging to my twin 8-year-olds. Literally 126 socks that do not match with any other sock in the collection.

That means there are 126 other unaccounted for odd socks somewhere in my house. And yet no matter how I search, I can't find a single one.

There's no amount of billions that will solve that mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Have you thought of dying them all the same colour? I have never messed with dying fabric but they did it 1000s of years ago so probably not too hard

Advertisement