Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing home personal hygiene question

• 28-04-2022 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭

I have an elderly female relative, mid eighties, in a nursing home, mobile but with dementia, semi incontinent, found out today that she & I assume all the other residents only get showered once a week.

This surprised me, the home in question would generally speaking have a good reputation, just wondering what others think of this generally or from experience of other nursing homes

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

That's an improvement, before they used to do once/twice a month. And in early 19th century they used sponge soaked in cool water and vinegar.

I agree they should have access to shower every day, that would also improve the relationship between residents and personnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

Same experience with a relative, once a week. Not ideal.

They tend to use the sani wipes/bath wipes when changing incontinence wear.

Depending on the person's mobility and levels of awareness, it can be a big ordeal to get them into the shower safely. Most usually need two staff members assisting for everyone's safety.

Staffing issues are definitely a part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Ok thanks, it may be the norm but from my perspective it means they are not clean(ish) for 5/7 days which isn’t really good enough at 1k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In childhood ( nearly 80) we had a bath/hairwash only every Saturday night. The rest of the week we washed. Just the " heavy duty" areas. I do not recall anyone smelling bad etc. Many houses did not have a bath and we never had a shower fitted in the house .

Ideas and practices have changed along with common facilities, and I still would do as I did in chidlhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

That’s all well & good but when dealing with dementia sufferers who are mobile even hand washing after using the toilet can go out the window never mind washing your hand, face & bits

• Advertisement
Advertisement