Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Product to get rid of Crabgrass

Options
  • 28-04-2022 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi all. We have recurring crabgrass every year in the front lawn. I only learned about pre emergent products that can be put down in early spring to stop new crab grass growing. It's too late to use them products now as the grass is established. I can see many post emergent products abroad that can be used to put directly onto lawns with crabgrass. These only kill weeds and crabgrass and do not affect the normal grass. A good example is tenacity herbicide which has mesotrione in it which seems to be what is needed.

I can't seem to find any of the post emergent products in Ireland. Seems very hard to get one shipped here also. Does anyone know of a product that may work? There's too much grass to pull up by hand and I don't want to kill all the normal grass so it's a very specific product that's needed. Very suprised there is nothing in ireland. Any input much appreciated 👍

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm not too up on the availabilities of the chemical approach, but many of the sites for removing crabgrass appear to be US based, and I know that they have a more lax attitude to (potentially) harmful chemicals than we do in the EU, so you may find that many of these products are not possible to obtain and illegal to import. Some UK sites seem to recommend a post-emergent lawn weed-killer (rather than a broadleaf treatment), so you should be able to get that here.

Is the grass getting a frequent cut? Would a hired electric lawn-rake an option to at least raise the crab-grass and then cut it back to allow the other grass varieties to recover, be an option?

Advertisement