Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Coolaney?

Options
  • 29-04-2022 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Moving to Coolaney soon, just wondering what's the situation with broadband there?

I checked on bonkers.ie - and it says Sky, Eir, Vodafone offer broadband of up to 100 Mbps there.

However - when I go to their websites and enter address: It says service not available in the area.

Are there any local providers or so?

Also - anyone ever used Starlink around Co. Sligo? (It might be an option for me).

Any advice - welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Hello there - it depends on what area you settle in Coolaney, i repair computers up here in Coolaney and have found in the Village (depending how close you are to the exchange up at the football park - because with copper phone lines the further you get away from the exchange box the mbps rate decreases) you could get anywhere from 4 or 8mbps up to 100mbps depending how close you are to the cabinet. - the providers you would be looking at is eir / sky etc

Then in Coolaney , if you live a bit out of the village centre and on a rural road you might be able to get even better than 100bps and actually get up to 1Gbps broadband (depending what package you buy) if you have a distribution box on a wooden telephone pole near by. - Thats called Fibre broadband directly to the house You would be looking at the likes of a company called Digiweb.

If you cannot get broadband by either telephone line or Fibre broadband then you could be looking at up to 20mbps from a Company called Fastcom broadband (no phoneline needed) you will need a clear line of sight to a mast on the Ox Mountains in Coolaney - or just recently company such as Imagine have now a system running on the 4G mobile network in coolaney if you are in their coverage area.

Hope this info is of any help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Thank you for the information.

I will be moving to Woodstream estates.

They are working on connecting it to fiber right now (ETA unknown as estate is still being built and eir said they wont go there until finalizing of estate) so I guess I might opt-in for StarLink for time being (as it's essential for my work)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

no problem - wow €649 for the hardware and 99€ P/M for StarLink system that's some serious kind of money 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

OP - Ring eir with the eircode for the house & they will advise you what BB they can provide for the specific house address.

(ALot of the other proividers use the same lines as eir so use this as your benchmark)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can do that online also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

you can, op stick your eircode into https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail and that will list whats available to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Tried this, 4 unavailable.

1 - "Within range of cabinet, check distance with sales"

For now I've signed up for 30-day contract with Three for 750GB Mobile Broadband (getting 2-16 Mbps) which is better than nothing I guess.

But coming from Dublin where I had 340-380 Mbps, feels like I am trying to run under water.

It's a brand new estate, Eir have laid their network cabling already and all houses have been pre-connected to it - but they said they wont activate it until all houses are finished and connected (which may be another 4-5 months).

I will suffer through it for now but if in the end Eir connects it up and it's some crap like 50 Mbps - I will switch to starlink.

Advertisement